Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
AK Member

Old 60's Sylvania on ebay...WOW

Someone posted a 1960's Sylvania TV/Stereo combo....It's a beaut....but look at the price....Yikes !

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sylvania...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
mike g

nice set , however it aint even worth a hundred bucks . Really nice furniture and they usually have a nice sounding stereo and turntable, however they are just so big, bulky and heavy . I have two combo and i am kinda wondering what the hell i was thinking when i brought them home . Must be my love for old tvs .
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

It may be pretty; but, most people nowadays don't want "big and heavy." This is just another seller that thinks because it's old and ornate, it's worth a fortune.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
mike g

honestly , i think you have to practically give those combos away . I have a really nice magnavox combo that i started a repair on last summer and never finished . Its huge and weighs a lot . It took three guys to get it into my basement . It has to be well over two hundred pounds . Anyway i never finished it becuase as much as i like it , i just dont know where i am going to put it . Eventually its going to break my heart but i am going to strip it for parts and its going to the dump . Its a shame they are really nice but just so heavy and take up so much room . I know they were pretty expensive back in the day too .
The seller of that auction thinks he has gold . I see that a lot with old tvs. Then eventually they wind up giving it away or disguarding the tv .
Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 AM
AK Member

I agree with the bulk opinion. If that was the only stereo or tv you were going to own, that would be great. Imagine if somebody needed that thing shipped and paid the $ 500 item price....then again, I have seen people do it.
Audiokarma
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Mark

They sometimes go for quite a bit, the Zenith roundie combo I just won cost 280$ someone was trying hard to outbid me. Maybe it was just 'cause its a roundie, IDK. BUT, 500$ is WAY TOO MUCH. They are never going to get that much, and if they do, more power to 'em and they can send that buyer over to look at my auctions! LOL!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-11-2008, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its a nice set, and i would not mind having this in a living space. Love the scroll work on the cabinet. From the pictures the length does not look that bad, but i have to agree with you collectors about this set being cumbersome in a collection. Also from what any human being could see the starting bid is too high, and this auction is going to choke. May i add the CRT looks like it has a nasty green halo too.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

The turntable in that thing looks like a Dual. That's unusual since most TT's in these consoles were VM or BSR.

That does indeed look like a nasty green halo on that CRT. There is information on this site on how to remove it; but, it can be a PITA.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
The turntable in that thing looks like a Dual. That's unusual since most TT's in these consoles were VM or BSR.

That does indeed look like a nasty green halo on that CRT. There is information on this site on how to remove it; but, it can be a PITA.
Most of the console Sylvania's of this era that i've seen had either Dual or Garrard turntables in them. A nice set but a tad steep.
-Tony
Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 PM
AK Member

I doubt any one will pay that steep price. After reality kicks in, they will probably be trying to give it away. I hope who ever winds up with, will keep it original and repair the green halo.

I have a 1969 Sylvania Color set in a french provincial cabinet. The more traditional styles are my favorites. I have a 1964 French Provincial Magnavox console stereo as well.

When people come to my office they ask me about my old traditional furniture etc....I tell them I got it at the Fred McMurray estate sale.
Audiokarma
Old 04-11-2008, 11:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

gut the thing and you can use it as your secret hiding place
Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Its strange that the owners literature is Sylvainia GTE. On a set this old i never would of thought the GTE, or GT matic labels would of been used. I thought they were labels on 1970's sets.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I noticed that, too. I think they probably had another Sylvania set around the house and all the paperwork got lumped together.

Last week my uncle stopped in and gave me the owner's manual packet that came with the mid-80s Emerson my cousin had when he was a kid. But my uncle thought it was for his '67 Admiral. Non-collectors don't have an eye for the same things.

(no, the Admiral is long gone )