Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 PM
AK Member

Missed Opportunities

I thought it would be interesting to ask this question, have you ever let a TV or TV's pass you by and later kick yourself for being a dope ?

I remember several years ago, I went to an antique store that had been converted from an old barn in Sevierville TN. I went up on the second or third floor and remember seeing several old TV's up there. I also seem to recall one of them being a roundie. I never thought at that time about looking for an old tv and just ignored them. Now I kick myself for not paying closer attention. I plan to go back down there pretty soon and see by chance if some might still be upstairs.

Another missed opportunity was, last year. I was looking for vintage furniture for my office and went to this filthy place in a near by town. I won't go into great detail about the weird owner and how the place is stacked in layers. Next door was an old house that was sold and everything had to be taken out. I remember going in there was amazed at the house itself. It had 10 ft ceilings and mahogany wood work. I asked him who bought the house and he said a bank and they were tearing it down for a parking lot. I noticed the house still had all the old 60's stuff in it....... I recall an old 1960's console TV sitting in the living room....I was in a hurry ( I was on my lunch hour) and thought nothing more of it and looked at the other stuff. A few weeks later the house was torn down, scraped up and thrown in the dump.

It makes me wonder if he took that old tv over there and put it in the pig pen, I mean antique store.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did you ever throw $10,000 out a car window ?
It's somewhere out on Rt 10 in Texas.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Bout 10 years ago I passed up a CTC-7 at a yard sale for 10 bucks because the replaced 21JFP22 had a scary looking cataract. I had no idea then it could be repaired.

Of course when I went back to see about getting it it was gone.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

hey i knew that old barn antique store pretty well. your right 3 stories. all i remember seeing there was 2 or 3 b&w consoles in the top floor loved that store. steve
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
AK Member

Rcman....that's the one. I was amazed at the collection of 50's/60's un-opened soda. Makes you think about getting a bottle for somebody that likes to eat or drink gross stuff on a dare.
Audiokarma
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I know that joint, too...Been about 5 yrs since I've been thru it...All I remember was one rather depressing looking nondescript late '40s-early '50s "consolete" & a bunch of overpriced AA5s...but Lord-A-Mercy, what a collection of Junque ! There's a new place down the road in toward Gatlinburg that is a LOT nicer-Clean, well-lit, & you DON'T feel like you'll get "snake-bit"...but it don't have the "ambiance" of that barn...
Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 PM
sampson159

i bought a ctc-5 at a yard sale for 25.00. working with a strong tube. had a hum bar in the vertical chassis. it was slight so i didnt bother to cap it.this was about 12 years ago.sold it to a friend who collected 50s everything.i am kicking myself these days over that set.passed on a zenith radio last month.i went back today and it was gone.big suprise!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was selling used tv's in Memphis, I answered an add in the paper for a color tv for sale. I drove up to the house not far from where I lived at the time, and was greeted by an older woman and her son. They showed me the set and it was sort of working. The crt was bright, but needed some work on the delay line or video amp sections. We talked for a while and I just couldn't see buying a console tv with only a 15 inch screen. I thought at the time I would never be able to sell it. It was a an RCA ct-100 and they only wanted $25.00 for it. If only I had known. Still kicking myself.

Bill R
Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not realizing that cataracts can be fixed has killed plenty of sets, I bet. I had a couple that I junked for that reason. (CTC-15 combo and an Admiral about the same age) I also passed on another RCA combo, probably 12 or 15, that was in the junk pile at an auction.

I once walked away from a Philco Safari for about $45; found a first-generation Sony bw portable at a hamfest a few years ago...I didn't ask the price but everything else he had was cheap. I passed because I thought it looked too fragile!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Not realizing that cataracts can be fixed has killed plenty of sets, I bet. I had a couple that I junked for that reason. (CTC-15 combo and an Admiral about the same age) I also passed on another RCA combo, probably 12 or 15, that was in the junk pile at an auction.

I once walked away from a Philco Safari for about $45; found a first-generation Sony bw portable at a hamfest a few years ago...I didn't ask the price but everything else he had was cheap. I passed because I thought it looked too fragile!

When I was an early teen, I was given a 23" metal cabinet Motorola color TV complete with stand. The cabinet was beige and it had a little red color indicator above the channel selector knobs. The large, colored badge below the screen proclaimed "Motorola * Color Television". Despite the set sitting in a basement for years, it worked well EXCEPT one thing: BAD cataracts. At the time, I had no idea cataracts could be removed. In fact, I wasn't aware cataracts could be removed until I started reading here. I don't have to tell you what happened to the set. Motorola color sets are not very common today and I'm sure the metal cabinet table models are even harder to find. Yes, I know I blew it big time when I was young.
Audiokarma
Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
When I was an early teen, I was given a 23" metal cabinet Motorola color TV complete with stand. The cabinet was beige and it had a little red color indicator above the channel selector knobs. The large, colored badge below the screen proclaimed "Motorola * Color Television". Despite the set sitting in a basement for years, it worked well EXCEPT one thing: BAD cataracts. At the time, I had no idea cataracts could be removed. In fact, I wasn't aware cataracts could be removed until I started reading here. I don't have to tell you what happened to the set. Motorola color sets are not very common today and I'm sure the metal cabinet table models are even harder to find. Yes, I know I blew it big time when I was young.
Only an insane person would remove the safety panel and expoy from
a 23EGP22. Those tubes would implode too easily. Customers that had that model living near a city airport had to vacuum broken glass twice a year from their living room till they upgraded to a 25 inch replacement tube & install kit.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the late 60s I had an ad in the paper looking for a CT-100. I got a call from this older couple in the rich part of town and went to take a look. They had a CTC-4 built in the wall, but I wanted no part of a -4. They also had a B/W tv that was HUGE, and you had to lift the lid to view the picture. I can't remember if it had a mirror (I think) or translucent screen. But I didn't need no stinkin B/W tv.

A few weeks later I had a call from a guy saying he had only the chassis of a CT-100. As I was looking for an entire set I politely turned down the offer. ARGH!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
AK Member

I just passed up an oppurtunity for a Nak RK-202 on eBay. Thought it would sell for $200, but someone got it for only $40! I would have paid that had I know it would've not been a hole in the pocket!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

[1] What's a Nak RK-202? Is it just Google and me who doesn't know...

[2] Enjoyed the CT-100 stories; never turned one down, but...

[3] About six years ago a coworker said there was "an old TV at the curb" down the street from her house. From the discription it was a CTC15 or thereabouts. Had a sign hanging from it:
Free
Works

Wasn't sure I wanted something that 'new,' and so when I came to my senses... it was gone.

[4] Hey Phil, you going to ETF this year?

Pete
Old 04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis View Post
[1] What's a Nak RK-202? Is it just Google and me who doesn't know...
Sorry, I meant an Nakamichi RX-202...the tape deck with the unidirectional-flip opposed to autoreverse...man that thing is sweet. And even though it's just a two-head deck, it's said to rival most 3-head decks in recording/playback quality. WHY OH WHY DID I LET THAT GO?
Audiokarma