Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

More motel TVs

These scans cover early B&W through color, so decided to post them here.

Notable:
A motel room with a Predicta;
A console in the coffee/gift shop;
A TV built into a dresser;
Photos of motel rooms with the TV operating, inlcuding one color set;
Dig those decorating fashions!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf motel postcards 20091204.pdf (224.4 KB, 229 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 PM
RCA 741PCS

Awesome

That reminds me of the sci-fi mini series "the lost room"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheLostRoom.jpg (32.5 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by bandersen; 12-05-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Zenith Motel in Canada..

Is that a Zenith TV in the Zenith Motel?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zenith Motel.pdf (200.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Awesome

That reminds me of the sci-fi mini series "the lost room"
I've mentioned this story before on another thread, but here's this set again. A few years ago a guy was searching the country for one of these so that he could re-create the set from that show in his home I believe. Can you believe that? He wasn't a TV guy, he was a fan of this show which to this day I have never seen. Supposedly he wasn't having any luck locating on of these and I had a real nice one in working condition. He and a friend traveled almost non stop from Massachusetts to southern Virginia to seal up a deal I could not refuse. Must be nice to have the time, room, and money to take on such a project. Room is usually my biggest obstacle in this hobby. Sometimes, actually a lot through the years I have taken on way more TVs than I have room for, or a desire for, in order to save them and hopefully find a good home for them. U can't stand to see them heading for the landfill. The economy sort of stepped on my toes with that as old sets are a bit harder to get rid of these days, especially if you will not ship, which I won't. Too many nightmare stories on that topic!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

TV's hidden in a dresser! My favorite on that was the Algonquin in New York! They were still hiding the TV (and minibar) as late as the early 1980's. Haven't been there in ages, alas. A standard of luxury rarely seen today.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I've mentioned this story before on another thread, but here's this set again. A few years ago a guy was searching the country for one of these so that he could re-create the set from that show in his home I believe. Can you believe that?...
It was an interesting little 3 episode mini-series. I think it had a lot of potential for a full run but it wasn't picked up.

If anyone else wants to re-create the 'lost room', I have of those Motorolas looking for a new home

Wow! I did a little search and found this website detailing every object in the motel room.

Last edited by bandersen; 08-22-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM
"Book em Dano!"

The Figueroa Hotel is still operating to this day in DT Los Angeles . Even that swimming pool is still there. You can see it on Google Earth.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I've mentioned this story before on another thread, but here's this set again. A few years ago a guy was searching the country for one of these so that he could re-create the set from that show in his home I believe. Can you believe that? He wasn't a TV guy, he was a fan of this show which to this day I have never seen. Supposedly he wasn't having any luck locating on of these and I had a real nice one in working condition. He and a friend traveled almost non stop from Massachusetts to southern Virginia to seal up a deal I could not refuse. Must be nice to have the time, room, and money to take on such a project. Room is usually my biggest obstacle in this hobby. Sometimes, actually a lot through the years I have taken on way more TVs than I have room for, or a desire for, in order to save them and hopefully find a good home for them. U can't stand to see them heading for the landfill. The economy sort of stepped on my toes with that as old sets are a bit harder to get rid of these days, especially if you will not ship, which I won't. Too many nightmare stories on that topic!
You ought to see it. The Lost Room and Warehouse 13 were my two favorite non-Anime programs that SyFy carried (until they droped anime and lost my viewership).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Zenith color TV sign on motel

Here's a hard to read sign form a motel postcard -
the bottom blakc area says Zenith COLOR TV,
but I can't make out what it says in the upper black on yellow area.
Can anyone make it out, or has someone seen one of these and knows what it says?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motel Zenith CTV sign PC002.jpg (71.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

In my college days (decades ago), one Friday night I rented a room in a fleabag motel, which actually had a coin-operated TV in it! It was a 19" B&W set, IIRC. There's a funny story related to it that I'll share with friends at ETF... One hint: No matter how active a ham radio operator you might be, don't get call letter license plates until after you're married! (Hadn't thought about that incident in ages!)
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Rooms With-Zenith Color TV"

I have worked in the hotel business for over 25 years, and I can tell you stories!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I remember in late 1983, the Motel 6 in Champaign, Illinois charged extra to use the TV, a 19-inch black-and-white set. For 75 cents a day, they would give you the key to the switch mounted in the side of the TV.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."