Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

I still have the guts and CRT from a 49-1040, which is also a jug-over-the-chassis.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Look, Pal, you REALLY oughta fix a few of those radios B4 you go tacklin' that TV..Get yr Feet Wet in restoration, so to speak... That's a NICE set, I for one. would HATE to see you "Booger it Up" from inexperience..
Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Those sets are big, not tall but as wide and deep as most consoles.

The entire front grille and screen comes of the cabinet for cleaning, I don't remember just how but there are a couple of screws you remove or loosen and it lifts up and off.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the replies. I am not as familiar with one this old due to the fact when I use to tinker on TVs most of the time it was late 50s to 70s models. It is on a old bell and howell cart. As far as the size that sounds about right at 24 wide by 14 high. If you saw the one Ron Ramirez it is the same one, I got this from him over the weekend.

As far as experience I am not too worried about messing it up. I have restored in the hundreds if not thousands of old radios and worked on TVs as well. I have made my living in electronics and computers since I started working. I use to get old tube stuff when I was a kid to learn electronics as well. About 15 years ago I was well known in my area for this type work. Currently I have a philco 70 I am restoring though. This one the chassis is rusted a lot and the wood in front of the speaker is busted. But it looks to be a good rebuild. I currently have the tuning cap dissasembled rebuilding it.I am thinking it will be at least the winter before I can work on the TV due to so many other commitments.

I do have a B and K 370 model picture tube tester, I will see if it tests it. The main thing I need to do is to find the service info on it. I have riders 1-20 for radio but none for the TVs. I also have a few of the sams from the fist up to about 90 then I have a complete set from number 92 to about 20 years ago. That was when the shop closed I got some of them from. I have tried to find all of the sets I can. The bad thing for me though is I looked up the sams and I think it was 91. I don't have that one. I do have a lot of philco service info from the 50s so I will look through and see if I can find anything.

I use to have quite a few NOS flybacks from back then but I gave them away years ago. Oh well. I am in no hurry on this as I want to take my time and fix it right. So first thing is to look for some type of schematic. Then I will go from there.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Motorola Minion

I will look at my collection of Wallace TelAid books, I think I have the factory schematic which is better than Sams, except there is no photos pointing at the components.

if I have it I will PM you. That is one neat Philco.
Audiokarma
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

It's good that you have background in radio repair, so often I've seen somebody pick up an old set that's "Talked" to them, & tear in into it, & then end up scrapping what COULD have been a most promising restoration..
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Dav I appreciate that. Sandy I have worked on tube stuff since the 70s. Back then folks would give it to you to get rid of it. So I got all I could, radios TVs and other junk to tinker with. When I was about 14 I worked a few days with this older repairman in his building .I would love to have the stuff in there now. It was about 100x200 feet and two stories full of old items like this TV. I worked on on a lot of old stuff , I was even in a few magazines back years ago with old radios stuff. I got busy with life around 92-94 and mothballed the tubes. I got back into them a couple of years ago after my daughter went to college. So I am back in the hobby again.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got the old B&K 370 picture tube tester out. It took the number 10 socket. I tried to get it on but one of the pin holes on the socket of the tester was not drilled out. It didn't have a wire in that area. I drilled a hole in the plastic socket so that the tube pin on the tube would go into the socket. I was able to test it then . It went into the Good area of the tester so the picture tube will be good to use. I need to find a picture of the back of the set. I need to fabricate a back for it. It didn't have a back.