Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

wood cab. paint or refinish?

Im in process of refinishing one wood cabinet on a non-antique radio in maple, next/final step is semigloss varathane. Getting another radio same make/model that looks in pics not to need refinishing but has ugly brown factory finish. Thinking of just painting it some nice color instead of the whole sand/stain/varathane process. Radios are vintage 59/60 era. And not worth a penny.
Any comments/criticism welcome.
thanks.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 AM
RCA 741PCS

I try to reproduce the original finish, but if it's not a valuable set and you don't like the finish, then go for it

I've been using Mohawk toner lacquers lately, and have used Minwax stain + lacquer in the past with decent results.
Sorry, I've seen but haven't used the varathane products so don't have any opinion on them.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 AM
sampson159

i prefer to replicate the original finish if at all possible.dont care for urethane at all.i like to use teak or tung oil with many coats.easy to apply and the results are very close to original.then some johnsons paste wax or beeswax.even have been able to duplicate the dreaded "photo finish".really close and has fooled some experts.to me,this is the best part.my electronic skills are diminishing,so at least i can do this reasonably well.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

minwax is varathane either in stain+finish or strait finish, gloss, semigloss, or satin.

Im only asking about the one with the UGLY factory brown color on it. Certainly dont want to keep the orig finish, it sux, so I do a complete re-finish or paint it. Whe i I see it I'll be able to better judge what to do. Tryin to save extra work doing a refinish.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it is one of those common, near worthless, but still useful 50/60's radios, by all means paint the beast to a color that you like or that matches your decor - certainly isn't like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

I've got a 60's Voice of Music turntable that I am considering painting the wooden base. Not really a historic turntable, and certainly not worth a dime, but the original finish on the base is just plain butt ugly - I am thinking a deep red enamal would go well with the flawless charcoal finish that is on the turntable frame.
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtWB View Post
If it is one of those common, near worthless, but still useful 50/60's radios, by all means paint the beast to a color that you like or that matches your decor - certainly isn't like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

I've got a 60's Voice of Music turntable that I am considering painting the wooden base. Not really a historic turntable, and certainly not worth a dime, but the original finish on the base is just plain butt ugly - I am thinking a deep red enamal would go well with the flawless charcoal finish that is on the turntable frame.
you can see the "refinish" one results up in antique radio forum, the x334 pic.
The ugly brown not here yet. thanks for the on paint. Maybe a 2 tone art deco scheme. even tho its 60s.