Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Safety tip of the day

Before you power up that Isolation Transformer and turn on the power strip. Before you stick your fingers under the chassis and start to unsolder that Filter Cap, be sure the set is turned off and unplugged!

I know for a fact this is good advice, don't ask me how I know but I KNOW!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Glad you are still among us!

Let me add that I've done the same many, many times, and that before I replace a filter cap, I ensure the set is unplugged and the filter cap has been thoroughly discharged. They can still bite even after unplugging.

DAMHIK

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

About ten years ago I was working on a 13" RCA set with a filter cap that kept shocking me. I got frustrated with it and was just about to discharge it with a screwdriver when I noticed it was still plugged in. Good thing I noticed that especially since the boss was only a few feet from me. Even though he probably woulda just laughed and would still be ripping on me for it to this day.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I worked on an old sony projection unit and forgot it was still plugged in, had the board out, replaced convergence output ICs, and put the board back in and went to reach back to plug it in, it was already plugged in. OH SHIT... lol. it powered on and worked though. hah
Old 10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbroken View Post
About ten years ago I was working on a 13" RCA set with a filter cap that kept shocking me. I got frustrated with it and was just about to discharge it with a screwdriver when I noticed it was still plugged in. Good thing I noticed that especially since the boss was only a few feet from me. Even though he probably woulda just laughed and would still be ripping on me for it to this day.
If it was one of those TX81 or 82 chassis sets, the main filter cap in those will hold the full charge for a very long time even if the set is unplugged. Don't ask how I know!
Audiokarma
Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I like....big sparks!!

I have a broadcast engineering acquaintance who intimately knows what an undischarged filter's capable of. He was working on a balky 20kW FM transmitter...it was the middle of the night & he'd been at it for hours. His most recent attempt at getting it back on the air failed, he got VERY pizzed and flung a wrench in his hands into the transmitter's guts. As bad luck would have it, it landed RIGHT ACROSS the terminals of a big filter (maybe 20uF @ 15kV). The big cap blew the wrench out like it was shot from a gun...hit him in the face, breaking his jaw & taking out 8-9 teeth. It was a Collins like I'm familiar with, so prolly ran about 8,200V @ 3A or so. Owie.

Myself? Only been zapped once...an old Gates 1kW AM got me w/about 3500V @ 500mils. Knocked me right into the wall 3' behind the transmitter. I quit bypassing interlocks that day. Oh...when I was a kid I let a color TV snap an arc right thru my fingernail. Left a cute little hole. Owie.

Last edited by electronjohn; 11-07-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
I have a broadcast engineering acquaintance who intimately knows what an undischarged filter's capable of. He was working on a balky 20kW FM transmitter...it was the middle of the night & he'd been at it for hours. His most recent attempt at getting it back on the air failed, he got VERY pizzed and flung a wrench in his hands into the transmitter's guts. As bad luck would have it, it landed RIGHT ACROSS the terminals of a big filter (maybe 20uF @ 15kV). The big cap blew the wrench out like it was shot from a gun...hit him in the face, breaking his jaw & taking out 8-9 teeth. It was a Collins like I'm familiar with, so prolly ran about 8,200V @ 3A or so. Owie.

Myself? Only been zapped once...an old Gates 1kW AM got me w/about 3500V @ 500mils. Knocked me right into the wall 3' behind the transmitter. I quit bypassing interlocks that day. Oh...when I was a kid I let a color TV snap an arc right thru my fingernail. Left a cute little hole. Owie.

ouch. Sorry I couldn't help but to laugh while reading that as I can picture that happening.
I've made some bad moves too and sometimes, Im amazed that I didn't get zapped when soldering/servicing under a chassis not realizing that the set was still plugged in, especially if I was working in the power supply!!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back in my teens a good friend of mine (also into electronics) and I were changing out a CRT in an early 25" Zenith color. So here we are with the face down on a throw rug working on the (tiled) basement floor with just socks on our feet. Next thing I remember we were about ten feet away from that set laying next to each other and saying "No, I thought "You" discharged the CRT"!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Many of those lage capacitors can hold enough current to stop a heart for quite a while. Be careful!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

My worst-yet experience with a filter cap was while I was repairing an old Harman-Kardon CA-100 PA / Paging amp (100W RMS, P-P 8417's running 645V B+ and 325V G2 from a full-wave doubler circuit) and preparing to add a custom-designed Guitar Preamp sub-chassis (minibox with two tubes, five pots, and appropriate connectors to draw power from a 5-pin socket H-K provided for a two-channel Mic Preamp for optional Mic 3 and Mic 4 and feed the Line Out signal into the RCA jack that H-K provided for the same Preamp accessory). The original problem was that the amp's output would intermittently go dead, which I traced to intermittent loss of G2 supply to the 8147's. Unplugged AC power, flipped the chassis, noticed a cold-solder joint where the G2 lead was supposed to connect to the junction of the two (about 100uF/450V) filter caps and power transformer secondary. I was about 12 years old at the time, and thought "looks like an easy fix" as I picked up the solder and soldering gun. Next thing I remember was picking myself up off the floor, fetching the spool of solder from the other side of the room, and gluing the broken case of my Weller D550 back together from where it had hit the floor and cracked like an egg. Definitely learned my lesson about remembering to discharge electrolytics!!!

Last edited by jshorva65; 01-15-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Audiokarma