Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Modulating Madness

What about old equipment attracts you?

I have an old Zenith TV made in the early 80s and can't give the thing away.
A bit about myself.. I have always been interested in electronics since I was like 4 y/o, almost electrocuted myself to death when I was around 8.
I have since learned more about TVs, radios, transmission equipment, and most things on the level of engineering level. Hell I don't know what I am not interested in when it comes to electronics.

What I don't get is the nostalgia of old TVs?

I get radios. They are fun to fix up and get running again. Most older equipment is.

However TVs is are one thing I don't get. They aren't even useful anymore since the DTV transition.
Other than fixing one up to film for a movie or just for shits and giggles to show a friend what is the interest?

I really don't mean to bum anyone out I just don't get it.
There have been so many times where I could have plucked an old antique TV and fixed her up and probably even had an antique model you guys have never seen or worked with, yet I never have because I just never seen why anyone was intersted.

Long post, so I will wrap it up... What is it that makes you interested in old TV sets? Are they actually worth money besides collectors like you? Should I collect these things and research them because they are worth something to someone or is it just a niche bunch?

I really don't mean to piss anyone off but I really don't know if this is worthy to save old antiqued TVs for someone who has interest in it or just part it out and build something fun.
I even seen a thread once where some of you were angry at a person who made a chair out of an old TV wooden set cabinet. Even I think that's silly but really do you guys expect more from general people who don't even know?
My grandma once saved the cabinet of a B&W TV thinking it was worth money w/o the guts. It's obvious to me that you guys would be sickened by that, but gosh darn she thought it was worth more than the guts lol.