Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a Philco branded turntable,cd and cassette all in one in the shop built like this. I'm regretting taking this thing in. I had no idea it was gonna be this piece of crap when the guy called the tv shop and said "Do you fix phonographs?" I was hoping it was gonna be something from the 50s or 60s.

The cd player drawer was giving him trouble. To take this piece of crap apart you remove the bottom panel. The back doesn't come off at all. Then there is a board right in the middle holding the cd player.Had to remove the escutchion and control panel screws and slide out as far as it would go with a right angle amp,function board in tow.It's hardwired to the cassette deck and seperately mounted so you can' slide it all the way out. To gain access to a couple of the cd player section connectors to unplug them you have to remove the plasic turntable. The cd player is held in with screws and you have to finagle it out the larger hole on the side of the center board.

The grease they used has turned to a honey like consistency so I had to degrease it and relube it. The belt was slipping before and covered with that grease which had migrated to it. These cheap players are extremely finicky about the belt. I use a slightly thicker belt only a tiny bit smaller than the original and the piece of crap doesn't have enough motor torque to close and load the cd without help.Thinking of trying the original degreased belt with the new lube to see if that works after disassembling it for the 3rd time.

This guy says he plays a lot of records. Poor records.

Just today I was playing some Beatles records on my KLH30 I paid all of $2 for at an auction and a pair of Technics 10" woofer 3 ways($5 at a yard sale) at the shop while I was working on this "thing" and thinking if that guy heard that playing next to his his he would be shocked.

KLH used a cheap version Garrard changer in their units but it's worlds better quality than that Philco.

Last edited by JCFitz; 05-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.