Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2003, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Ctc-11 Has Finally Come!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Guys, Here it is, the moment I've been waiting for.........The ctc11 finally came through the fright company just yesterday. It was sitting in the garage when i came home in great undisturbed shape. First things first, plug it in. And yes, no picture as advartised but the sound was beautiful. The tuner was stuck, so the chassis is comming out no matter what.
To my amazement, the loss of picture was because the HV rectifier went to air!!!!!!!!!! Popped in a 3a3 and on comes the picture, but badly out of sync. This called for a new horizontal phase detector diode, thats fixed, good sync. Color even worked now! The tint balanced nicely. Felt the flyback, a bit too warm, pulled the chassis again. A bad .12uf cap off the efficiancy coil, way too much leakage. The cathode current falls down to 200ma, exactly what is to be running at! Good thing, the slug in the coil was siezed as usual. Changed 2 black beauty caps, luckily only 2 were used in this set. A bad 2.2 meg resistor from line to chassis ground was bad. And last but not least, a dissasembly of the tuner to cure it from being seized. All gears for the drive were like new, everything got lubbed with penetro90 (by far the best lubricant, it doesnt evaporate like wd-40)
Put the chassis back in and WOW!!! The picture is razor sharp! The focus control balances beautifly and the 21FJP22 tests as strong as new. By the way, all original tubes still in this set. Looks like nobody ever took the back off, an undisturbed chassis. I must say, this set was a pleasure to work on, the vertical chassis is an excellent design, everything comes out attached in one peice, and serviceing can be done in a vertical posistion. RCA did a nice job designing that, they should have stuck with this concept.
On to the remote control, the chassis had only 2 bad tubes. The original remote didnt work, I didnt attempt to fix it yet. However, it did work with my newer generation RCA VICTOR remote for my ctc-31. So the tv set is perfect. The remote control is badly corroded, basically eaten up the insides from acid. I dont think its even worth fixing if I can find another remote. But anyway, the worst did not happen, the fly is good and the tv is by far one of the most favorite in the collection.