Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pilot tv crt

Does anyone know what the correct number of the crt for a pilot tv both P1 and P4 .
Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

3KP4 for white and 3KP1 for green

George
Old 04-14-2016, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks George , would there be other numbers that would work in that set both white or green ?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I dont think so, essentially because I don't know of any other compatible 3 inch CRTs out there.

Now .......... THIS SUNDAY .....!!!!! there is going to be a public auction in Chester, New York where there will be (2) 3" CRT's offered in a lot. Not terribly far from you! I'd take a shot and go for it if you have the time. I think the auction starts around 9AM or so...
-George-
Old 04-14-2016, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

This hobbyist substituted a 3RP1:

http://www.electronixandmore.com/res...lot/index.html

jr
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2016, 05:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Who was the manufacturer of the pilot tv 37 and what year did the 37 come out.

Last edited by timmy; 04-19-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well this pilot has issues first no sound but the original field coil speaker was replaced with a permanent magnet speaker that was hooked up and must have worked the voice coil was disconnected and those connections went to the new speaker via the field coil but just have a very low hum. The crt lights but I cannot get a hv reading maybe the probe area for the ground is not ground but rather some place else I don't know. 1b3 tests good it's new but I need to know where to put the ground from the hv probe so I can adjust the feedback ring to set the hv but the ring up or down I get nothing but there is hv. All the rest of the tubes test as new. First turn on it has a pic and after warm up the screen is unstable in different ways maybe that cause along with the hv could be the caps that were put in were ceramic disc where it don't call for those types but nevertheless the set must have worked and this whole set was recapped and they look new and the job that was done was extremely neat and clean better then factory. So if anyone knows these pilot 37 sets I would be open to a few hints, thanks.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Who was the manufacturer of the pilot tv 37 and what year did the 37 come out.
Much info here:
http://antiqueradio.org/PilotTV-37.htm

jr
Old 04-20-2016, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok so the hv is acceptable but I have a faint hum in the speaker simply cannot get sound but the video is fine. I checked the discriminator coil and not burned, has video should have sound. I also have a verticle problem the bottom of the screen needs to go down and the adjustment is maxed, verticle size won't stretch top to bottom. B+ voltages look good.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

does anyone know if there was 2 schematics for the pilot 37 tv with a ballast and without ? i got the one with the ballast but need the one without if there is one because my pilot dont have the ballast.
Audiokarma
Old 04-23-2016, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

You absolutely must put one of those 8.2 volt double-Zener protection diodes
across the CRT filament before running the set just turning it on ... until you protect the CRT filament you absolutely MUST slowly turn it on slowly with a variac (unless somebody has installed a separate power transformer for the
CRT filament.) We don't want any more blown out unobtainium CRTs.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Well this pilot has issues first no sound but the original field coil speaker was replaced with a permanent magnet speaker that was hooked up and must have worked the voice coil was disconnected and those connections went to the new speaker via the field coil but just have a very low hum. The crt lights but I cannot get a hv reading maybe the probe area for the ground is not ground but rather some place else I don't know. 1b3 tests good it's new but I need to know where to put the ground from the hv probe so I can adjust the feedback ring to set the hv but the ring up or down I get nothing but there is hv. All the rest of the tubes test as new. First turn on it has a pic and after warm up the screen is unstable in different ways maybe that cause along with the hv could be the caps that were put in were ceramic disc where it don't call for those types but nevertheless the set must have worked and this whole set was recapped and they look new and the job that was done was extremely neat and clean better then factory. So if anyone knows these pilot 37 sets I would be open to a few hints, thanks.
Tim, have you completely recapped the chassis? Also I agree that you need to install some effective method of leveling out the initial surge current to the CRT. There are a couple ways to do it, and you'll really thank yourself later!

Re the audio: seems to be an interruption of the af after takeoff, evidence by the slight hum you're experiencing. So start by making certain you've replaced all paper caps before proceeding. I'm presuming you are getting a video signal to the CRT right now???

Remember, the Pilot TV37 is the Smart Car of early television. Don't expect quality-anywhere-and proceed accordingly. Once you get it working correctly you'll have actually good audio, and a decent picture if viewed thru a magnifying glass and a Scotch (or two) handy.

George
Old 04-23-2016, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post
Tim, have you completely recapped the chassis? Also I agree that you need to install some effective method of leveling out the initial surge current to the CRT. There are a couple ways to do it, and you'll really thank yourself later!

Re the audio: seems to be an interruption of the af after takeoff, evidence by the slight hum you're experiencing. So start by making certain you've replaced all paper caps before proceeding. I'm presuming you are getting a video signal to the CRT right now???

Remember, the Pilot TV37 is the Smart Car of early television. Don't expect quality-anywhere-and proceed accordingly. Once you get it working correctly you'll have actually good audio, and a decent picture if viewed thru a magnifying glass and a Scotch (or two) handy.

George
hey George yes it's been completely recapped including resistors and I got the audio working I figured it out and I have a perfect picture but what I'm left will is the vert size is maxed and won't fill the bottom half inch of the screen but 3 caps were put in that are nos, big mistake because they test good but sometimes under load they may change value so that's next for me to check. I get the reason for inrush protection because of the crt heater but this one the heater don't come on fast upon turn on so maybe something was put in already to protect it I don't know I didn't check it. Do you know the voltage or info on what zener to use to protect the heater, and does this Zener go across the heater feed wires. This zener is the glass diode IIRC .
Old 04-23-2016, 06:34 PM
M is for Memory

It is not a Zener (though it is based on them) it is a TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor) diode IIRC. There was a couple great threads on them on ARF's TV forum. On common collected sets it pays (saves you and us time) to search the existent threads for info rather than bugging people to rewrite info that is already out there.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-24-2016, 07:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Something that cold would be roughly 400 ohms and progressively come down to around 4 ohms or so as it heats up - maybe 3-5 seconds or so.
Audiokarma