Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

JVC EM37T displays 1/2 Black 1/2 white Screen??

OK, after a fairly long cross country trip, the set is showing the following screen, and no audio, or response from the remote except on/off:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fq1g89tlk...xtf7uYKUa?dl=0

The set was pretty well padded for the trip, but not sure if the transport contributed to the failure.
Anyone seen this condition before??
Any suggestions appreciated!

Mark
Old 01-03-2015, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually, This is the correct link....sorry!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb0wfx00x8...20147.JPG?dl=0
Old 01-03-2015, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like a panel or TCON problem possibly caused by either a loose connector or tab bond. If so you should get audio from a known good source as the set is basically working and responding, you just can't see anything on screen.

Have you tried any sources other than antenna/cable? Scanning/updating channels for the new location without being able to see the menu is probably impossible. Easier to hookup a DVD player/etc and press SOURCE/AV/INPUT until you find the input (maybe use an audio CD rather than get stuck in DVD menus/copyright warnings).

Check and reseat the flat flex cable connectors between the TCON and the panel, or if this model has no TCON - the mainboard and panel. If it is a tab bond failure I press on the tabs with my finger with the set on looking for any change. Shimming the affected tab (I usually use silicon thermal pads cut to size) may get some life out of it, but there is always some risk of cracking the panel either when applying pressure or removing/replacing the frame.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, dr.ido for the suggestions! The possible tab bonding issue sounds likely as the set
worked prior to transport. I will give the input some source as well to check the audio
as well.

Mark
Old 01-08-2015, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I finally got a chance to open up the set, to check connectors, etc.
Right away I see a BIG problem. The guy that gave me the set must have installed the base with WAY to long screws, and 2 of the ribbon leads have been pierced through with them!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iepmzp6pta...80150.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbg1gerbci...80151.JPG?dl=0

My next question is, how (which direction) are these ribbon connectors plugged in? I don't want to damage the board connections....are those small locks on the ends for the connectors, or do they just pull off?

Thanks for the help!
Mark
Audiokarma
Old 01-08-2015, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heh... I've seen that a few times. Sometimes they'll drive them not just through the ribbon cables or PCB, but into the metal of the back of the panel.

The brown latches on each connector lift up to release the ribbon cable. If you can't get them with a finger nail use a small screwdriver or something to lift them up, but be gentle. The brown latch may pop out completely or break if you are heavy handed or use something that is too thick.

I'd pull replacement ribbon cables from a TV with a broken or bad panel, but you may have to try several before you find the right size. It doesn't matter if the replacements are a bit longer as long as they have the same number of pins and the same pin spacing.

They are probably available fairly cheaply on eBay, I've never looked.