Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 PM
console lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post

I doubt if a Muntz set would work at all with a DTV converter box fed by an indoor antenna; if it did, the performance would probably be so-so or worse (read nonexistent). I tried antenna reception on my analog TVs when I moved here almost 13 years ago and could not even get the NBC affiliate in Cleveland......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ...................................
How well the converter box works with an antenna has zero to do with what type of set is connected to the box. Zero. I could've sworn this had explained to you before.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:37 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
Nick, you obviously have too much free time.

I didn't make that, only posted it!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
How well the converter box works with an antenna has zero to do with what type of set is connected to the box. Zero. I could've sworn this had explained to you before.
Sorry about that. I should have stopped and thought awhile (a good long while) before shooting off that post. You are correct -- since the box is actually connected ahead of the TV's own tuner, the make, model, vintage, etc. of the TV itself makes no difference. I've seen in this very forum posts showing 1950s and even late '40s TVs on DTV converters, and the sets work quite well with them, showing good pictures. Since the TV itself is basically just acting as a display (the set's own tuner and IF circuits are processing only the channel 3 or 4 RF output signal from the box and not an OTA signal from an antenna), the converter doesn't care if the TV it is connected to is five or 55 years old; the converter will work regardless. The same reasoning may be applied to VCRs and DVD/Blu-ray players -- they don't give a darn how new or old the TV they are used with may be; the units will work just as well, except of course with b&w NTSC TVs the picture will not be in color or in HD.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I have had a DTV converter overwhelm my little Sony S8-301....which otherwise does pick up stuff just fine from my little in-house transmitter (OTA).

If I were to look into it though....this may be handled by just looking at gain or AGC.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi everyone i hope you are all fine ........ i would like to say thanks for this post because it has nice and useful information for us ......... thanks a lot ....... keep it up
Audiokarma
Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM
console lover

Don't call our banana phone, we'll call yours.