Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Motorola Minion

Sylvania Halolight saved

Greetings B-W aficionados, I started drooling when I saw two in ggreg's thread. This may be a model between those two, the missing link.http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/atq/3260826389.html

I saw "old Sylvania TV" appear on craigslist and it really was old, unlike most listings. I had to pay a small "finders fee" of course.
Picked it up 30 min east of Hbg yesterday and I'm guessing it was imported into this area because it is a VHF-only model. The first thing I noticed was the CRT box chewed open by a varmint and the base had been bumped enough to break it open, exposing the CRT wires but an assumed intact nip.

The dude was close to my age and said it was in his parents barn since they moved to the farm in 1970. Said he was always afraid to plug it, so I complimented his good sense, though at 7 yrs old I was not afraid to plug ANYTHING in, using an extension cord at a distance, of course.

Evidence of humidity, but complete and very restore-able which REALLY motivates me to save this veteran. This model 21C529W is a sams 472, which I do not have. The non-HL Sylvania is covered in sams 427, which I do have. I had one of those and it was a snap to get going, though it was a long time ago. It had controls across a gold escutcheon above the safety glass. A little lever was the power switch and the tuning bar-knob had a ratcheting action to change channels. These sets seemed to be far from 1959 Zenith sets in terms of quality, owing to the hi-low two-chassis setup, large PC board and series string with two big selenium rectifiers.

I removed the back cover, all 12 screws were in, found a large mouse house next the HV cage, saw what appeared to be the original tubes with red sylvania logo (not green), then fired up the 21CQP4 CRT on my checker before leaving for work. It bumped the needle a bit indicating need for a good cathode-roasting. I will do that tonight and post some pix after I clean it up a bit.

Lacking Sylvania resources, does anyone have a factory schematic?

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 09-18-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: add comparison to zenith
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

These have printed circuit boards of terrible quality--be careful.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:21 PM
johnny the raster master!

Do you know the sams no for a sylvania halolight COMBO radio tv record player?

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

I asked that months ago - crickets chirping
Speaking of crickets, I asked you about yours - is it like mine with the end-table housing everything but the CRT and sweep chassis?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got any other pictures? The Craigslist link is gone.
Audiokarma
Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 AM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar72 View Post
I asked that months ago - crickets chirping
Speaking of crickets, I asked you about yours - is it like mine with the end-table housing everything but the CRT and sweep chassis?
no just a regular big combo unit its huge to weighs almost 300 pounds!

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!