Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Bought a little "HLLY TVX-50M Villa" transmitter about a year ago....and the little thing is solid as a rock with a 15' cable to just a set of $10 rabbit ears from Radio Shack in a corner of the front room. Forgot the exact frequencies (I'm at work), but I have it set up for JUST above channel 13. We actually still do have a channel 13 around here SOMEWHERE that I don't want to step on. This was the highest frequency (clearest signal) I could go with and still be able to play with the old Sony sets that are not UHF. UHF frequencies would of course be even more stable.....but then the old VHF only sets would be left out. A couple digital sets in the house would have been happier if I was RIGHT on channel 13, but I don't really collect digital sets....and don't wanna bug anyone next door that MIGHT be actually watching something on 13. I'm not really sure WHERE this station is, but it's one of the only two or so ANALOGS left that actually are in English and not Spanish (Another one is something in the UHF). They are likely holdouts that are actually in Mexico.

I know, it's not a Blonder Tongue or anything more interesting.....but I wanted the transmitter to be PLL and EXTREMELY reliable, and very small (in power as well). This thing runs 24/7 and a switcher (A/V RCA jacks)....switches between the RCA outs of the cable box, output from an ARCHOS AV700 media player (vintage stuff on a 100GB hard drive and some static test patterns)...and a DVD player.

It's only a 50 milliwatt transmitter, but with those rabbit ears on it and not just the little included whip antenna, the thing will give a good clear picture with sound for around three houses around since I'm in a second story balcony flat.

Unexpected benefits.... Watching vintage (or the cable box) downstairs in the driveway while working on the cars. Freaks people out to walk by and see me sitting out there watching Leave it to Beaver episodes on an old Sony 8-301 set on rabbit ears :-P
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the exact unit I'm using....except I had originally got it as a bare PC board, and later got the chassis this one is in. Looks like this ebay link SHOWS it in the chassis, but if you look further down, "package content" is only showing the board, wall wart and the small whip antenna it comes with....Does not appear to include the chassis it's SHOWN in. I had to order that box directly from the company for like $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HLLY-TVX-50m...item3ccbf2e6e1

The only actual cables run in the flat are a single coax from the back of the cable box to my bedroom....and I use one of those "IR extender" things (also Radio Shack)...to control the cable box from the bedroom. The "regular" TV in the bedroom just stays on channel 3 (output from the COX cable box). That keeps the transmitter able to sit on whatever it wants and I'm able to use the bedroom TV just like the front room one. I don't care about HD in the bedroom on a 23" LCD...so this works just fine.

Last edited by AiboPet; 10-31-2012 at 07:16 AM.