Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Son of Zod

Philco-Ford 12 Transistor SS

Hello, AKers!
I love radios! I could live without a TV, but not a radio. Whenever I can get a nice one at a garage sale I swoop it up. I'm not actually a 'collector' as I probably have maybe 25 or so. And I use about 12 of them here and there, in different rooms, the garage, my shed, by the pool, at work. I have a little Sony AM/FM/SW for travelling, and camping. Drives my wife absolutely bonkers sometimes! Don't you just LOVE it!!(kidding). I listen to football and hockey on the radio, and watch the TV simultaneously. I don't care about the time delay, unless it's 5 seconds or more. I use my walkman radio when at friends houses during a football game. If the radio is ahead, I'm calling out plays before they happen. They think I'm some kind of genius.
Anyway, just picked up a beautiful Philco Ford 12 Transistor portable at a yardsale last weekend. It has a wooden case, is made in Japan. Uses 4 D-cells (still had some old RCA zinc batteries in it that hadn't leaked!). I put fresh alkalines in it and it plays beautifully. I need a 6V DC converter to run it off AC, so it couldn't be too old. Older models had an internal converter. I'm guessing 1970's or more recent. I have tons of converters, just have to find the right one.

I can't find the model number. On the bottom is a little black metal plate that says "Japan 403". That's my only clue. The chrome is sparkling, the wood only has a few scratches. I couldn't wait to get home! And it cost me only $3.00! Wowie Zowie, what a great find for me!

I just had to share my new find with other AKers who dig radio.

Attaching some pix (I hope). By the way, I sleep listening to George Noory or Art Bell. My wife finally got used to it. Good girl. My dog doesn't care at all.

Rick in Lutz, Fl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 Transistor.JPG (69.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Controls.JPG (82.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Original Zincs.JPG (79.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Philco Ford 12 Transistor.JPG (69.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0010.JPG (86.3 KB, 8 views)