Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nec PX-42VM5A Dead from Standby

I picked this panel up in early February from a local recycler. It worked there. It worked when I got it home. It worked when I built the HTPC for it and it ran fine for the two months I used it on and off. It was flawless.

For April, May and most of June though as things warmed up outside I've been so busy that I have not used it for anything. Tonight I finally had a chance to sit down and watch a movie while the freezing from some dental work wore off.
Turn it on from the remote, LED goes from RED to GREEN and you get the relay click. The screen briefly flickers so the high voltage comes up.
Then after about three seconds the relay clicks again, the green light goes out for about three seconds and then comes back but audibly there is no high voltage. No other indications of a fault. Not even a blinking LED. It's as if the display drivers have shutdown but the digital portion isn't aware of it.
I have left the TV in standby all this time and there was at least two power interruptions in the meantime but I have not found anything in the house that was damaged by those. I have already tried the google suggestions to unplug all the inputs and outputs to no avail and also completely unplugged the set for ten minutes but again with no luck. Its as if it died just sitting there on my bookshelf.
I would blame a capacitor or three somewhere if it saw more use but its just so odd to see a TV die like this.

Last edited by MIPS; 06-22-2017 at 10:50 PM.