Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:52 AM
M is for Memory

No tube set with regular use is going to work properly indefinitely. It is better to build some troubleshooting skills so you don't have to replace every part twice when it next needs work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
No tube set with regular use is going to work properly indefinitely. It is better to build some troubleshooting skills so you don't have to replace every part twice when it next needs work.
We were talking about restorations, not routine repairs. Sure there will be the occasional breakdown, but correcting those problems is better than having to crack a set open every time an aged common-failure part craps out.

The electrolytics in my "worthless" early SS daily watcher started going South a couple of months after I put it into service. I swapped all of them out with the best I could find, so now I won't have to concern myself with that for quite some time.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:15 PM
M is for Memory

I'm curious how a PAL 1077 would generate it's color bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
We were talking about restorations, not routine repairs. Sure there will be the occasional breakdown, but correcting those problems is better than having to crack a set open every time an aged common-failure part craps out.

The electrolytics in my "worthless" early SS daily watcher started going South a couple of months after I put it into service. I swapped all of them out with the best I could find, so now I won't have to concern myself with that for quite some time.
I knew that when I posted. My point is that if you do your restos in such a way as to avoid troubleshooting then when a problem comes along on a restored set you'll find it a harder task because you are out of practice/have less experience troubleshooting.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-12-2018, 10:15 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'm curious how a PAL 1077 would generate it's color bars.
http://www.eeeguide.com/color-bar-generator/

This site seems to indicate that it works just like an NTSC gated rainbow, but doesn't explain how that can be if the receiver switches R-Y phase line by line.
Perhaps PAL receivers don't switch phase if the burst phase doesn't flip? But wouldn't the receiver then interpret the burst phase as 45 degrees from minus B-Y? Very strange.