Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

truetone D-1845 record player

I have a truetone d-1845 am radio/record player from 1948 I am fixing for a friend. It is a heirloom and he wants the record player to work. I have got the AM workng great and I found a NOS ceramic cartridge that works in it. My last issue I am stumped on is the speed of the record. It seems to be going somewhere between 45 and 55 RPM. I have cleaned the unit and I also was able to replace the tire on the idler with a O ring that fits and seems to work .I did try a VCR idler tire that fit but it was a little thin. I did not try the VCR wheel since I have it running again. I noticed on the motor shaft it has a wire wrapped around the lower end like a spring. I can only think of two reasons for the spring. The first is to keep the idler from going down and the second reason is that the spring should be high enough that the idler runs on the spring. I have photos below. I am rusty on these old units, Last time I did much was at least 30 years ago. Does anyone have suggestions on making it go the correct RPM?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ive seen some units where the idler ran on a spring, the spring was used to increase the shaft diameter if a unit was operated on 50hz power. some changers from that period used a spring over the shaft to increase the speed from 33 to 45 rpm, to switch speeds you needed to add or remove the spring.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

that is a fairly common record changer, made by Oak model 6666, I think. might be easier to find one that's in better condition.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the reply. I will try to adjust the spring first. I would like to get it going if possible. Its a heirloom for the fellow and he doesn't want to replace the unit.I don't have one like it but Now if I could find one like it I might swap it out. I was wondering about the spring last night, I will move it up tonight. If it helps but is still a little slow I will change out to the vcr belt and put it on the idler.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

playing too slow is usually from old gummy oil in the motor bearings, Sagging or crumbling motor mounts can cause speed issues as well, or a hardened idler wheel.
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2016, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

spring shouldn't need adjusting, only if all other causes have been ruled out. i've never once seen a record changer problem caused by a spring, unless its missing, connected wrong, or some tried to modify it. if the speed is slow, but unsteady, its usually slippage cause by idler wheel or bad motor mounts. steady but slow, or slow but increasing as it warms up- usually gummy oil in the bearings. the motor bearings are usually porous bronze, they may need repeated soaks in laquer thinner to get the old gummy oil out. often there are felt pads as well. If you dont get it all out, the motor will often start running slow again in a couple months once more old oil works its way into the bearing.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

gummy oil or binding anywhere in the system will cause slow running also, any extra load on the motor will cause the speed to drop some. Turntable bearings often need cleaning and new grease as well, and the pivot for the idler wheel. Old grease can get pretty stiff after 65 years.

Last edited by Olorin67; 01-26-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Administrator

If this is a 78 only player and it's running too slow then almost certainly the tire should be running on the spring, there would be no reason for it being there otherwise.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:08 PM
electronics packrat

Could the idler tire be slipping? It's just a thought, though dried grease is usually the case here.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yahoo! I got it!! I went through this morning and took the motor apart completely. I didn't have thinner but I did have some clipper blade cleaner used for hair clippers. I dipped the plates that house the motor bearings in there. I had to go to town for a few hours and when I got back I put it all back together. I made some new rubber motor mounts out of some grommets I had. I was able to put one in the hole on the motor frame and then cut a different size grommet in half. By doing this it put it at the exact height. I then put on idler with the O ring on it and assembled it all back. After this it seems to be correct speed and will eject.

In the video below you can hear it playing. I still need to adjust the head so it will land on the record good. Then I need to glue up some pieces and then wax the outside. Thanks for the advice folks it was spot on. Even though I worked on tube stuff for years I went on a hiatus for 20 years. Also adding to issues I am seeing now is stuff like SMD, crystal cartridges going bad, and more issues with rubber rottening. Back years ago what you saw was a radio that quit working so you would find out why. Now not only do you have that you have issues with problems caused by age. Any I am well pleased. Thanks again folks, here is a video of it playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7G...ature=youtu.be
Audiokarma