Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

BK 400 CRT Tester

I've needed a CRT Tester for a while now as I'd rather give the CRTs in my TVs a check before I restore them, just so I know what to expect.

I didn't want to go to eBay so I took a drive to the place where the local TV repair man lives. He's a nice older guy who's been in the business for years now, but hasn't done much CRT work in a long time.

I asked if he had a tester and at first he thought he'd gotten rid of it, but upon going into the back of his shop he pulled out this, a BK 400 and sent me home with it.

It a rough looking unit, I'll give it that. Imagine how many TVs this things has seen in it's days.

It has all the adapters and such in a spot along the bottom.

Here is another shot of the front of it.

It's not great looking, but I opened it up and all the internals look good, spare for two caps that might be a problem at some point.

First things first: How do I test the tester and make sure it's functioning properly? I did plug it in to try, but I got no response from it at all.

And then how do I go about testing a CRT? I've never done it before and don't want to potentially damage anything.

Last edited by SkyLlama; 06-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.