Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

What is it?

An old and dear friend gave this to me. She is very ill and wanted me to have it.

No markings other that a RCA/Westinghouse/GE license plate on the chassis. Back is a loop from some other set. Swing clips on the back top would have been for a full back cover. No markings on the front.

It is a very stylish deco tabletop with the oval airplane dial and sub-markers inside the oval for volume, tone, band. Almost 2' wide and very late 30's. Stromberg or something not a major mfr? Refinished with no decals but presentable as is. Probably darker in its prime. Knobs have a basket-weave pattern on them. Tries to work.

Pics working now. Thanks admins.

Added a photo of the basketweave knobs for help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130511_192821.jpg (108.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 20130511_193010.jpg (68.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 20130515_004809.jpg (57.2 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 05-14-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bump

Pics fixed. Now for the collective help on the ID.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I ain't gonna hazard a guess, but "Me LIKEY !" Very nice lookin' set...
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

I got the Sandy blessing! I now have the will to live.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Appears to be a Worthmore. Knew I'd seen that one before:

http://sfhobbies.com/sfhobbies/radio...ace/index.html
Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Kam. Not much info out there other than it is model 813K. Nothing on Nostalgiair for Worthmore. The Silver name appears in a few variations but I don't have a Silver model # if there is one. Need to search the 8-tube lineup. And with all those names, who actually made it?

That dial construction is amazing. I do have the blue band insert in mine. Needs a little tack back in place in one spot. More searching after work.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very unique set. As to the loop antenna, that set was made before loops were commonly provided, so I imagine that the loop doesn't really function as a true part of a tuned circuit. The radio was probably made to use a long wire antenna. Easy enough to determine: if it has antenna coils on/below the chassis, then the loop isn't part of the radio design. Ten feet of wire would probably work better.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sent a note to the website and Yuriy answered. He is on the road and will get back to me when he gets home. He could not see VK as he is not a member and I sent the pix for him.

This set is looking more rare by the moment. I asked him for back pix and a possible schematic. His pix are very low res and seems to show a simple badge with no clue as to who made it. His knobs are different than mine.

Reese is right as to the loop.

Does anyone have a site that can scan the tube lineup and display a possible match?

Stay tuned.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Appears to be a Worthmore. Knew I'd seen that one before:

http://sfhobbies.com/sfhobbies/radio...ace/index.html
Try looking at Howard models in Riders. They were one of the Chicago independents. They also used dials like that and painted their chassis.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Plug your tube numbers into the search boxes on this site and you *could* find the manufacturer.

http://www.grillecloth.com/sylvania/tubelist.php

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Definately one of those "Chicago independents", does it mention being built at "Plant A" on the tag? They often showed up under a host of different names. Check "Climax".
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

BG you were reading my mind. Spent some quality time searching Climax on radiomuseum.org and I think I struck gold but I do not belong to radiomuseum and cannot see the schematics.

Climax was a Chicago mfr. for not long around 1936/1937 on S. Sangamon St. Site has two pages of models and on page 2 they mention the Model 90 "Angry Face" which seems to have come from the sfhobbies.com website text. But that is a 7 tube set and mine is 8. The rest of the 90 series are variations on the 7 tube but only two photos of the same set.

Their other sets with the few photos seem to be of the same garish styling and airplane dial variations. And all with an eye tube but no others with the "angry face" dial version.

Climax made exactly one 8 tube model...the ME and MEBT...both 8 tubes and the exact tube lineup. A winner for now.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/climax_mebt.html

I did Reeses search and found Climax Radio and Television and the MEBT in Riders 8-11 and two other models that radiomuseum does not list. The ME9 and ME17 with no Riders mention. Cousins I guess. And if they disappear in 1937, where does the "television" come from? A look at ARF found a thread that they became General Radio and Television in 1943. Nothing after that. The internet is dry.

The game is afoot! Help with Riders would be great. Only TV Riders here. And to see the pile of Riders that went to the "buy it now" at Kutztown only makes me cry. No takers.

Update; found the M/ME/MEBT at nostalgiaair. Small but useful. Notes show the eye tube was not on the M/ME.

Last edited by Dave A; 05-18-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does anyone have any of the Climax "angry face" radios? I would like a pix of the decals and logo if there are any. Logo may be a little plate nailed on.

Could also be Worthmore or Silver brands.

Last edited by Dave A; 05-22-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 AM
tube gear fanatic

http://www.myantiqueradio.com/images/owldial.JPG

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update. Took the radio to the DVHRC monthly meeting for a show and tell. Got Chuck A in a corner to recap it and got it back today. He changed all the caps...as usual...and all the resitors to boot. All off value. Alignment too. Tone control is not good so it was wired around for now until a replacement appears. No front end on this one. Looks like some work was done in the early 50's. The radio is playing nicely tonight with my Radio DJ and sounds great at 1610kc. Fidelity is fine with the wonky tone control. Both of the possible Riders was not correct but close enough for restoration. Needs a long-wire for proper use. Three foot long-wire working fine for local for now.

My thanks to Chuck and Yuriy for help with this rare radio and to my old girlfriend who gave it to me so it would have a good home.

Please wish her well in her in her time of trouble and her kindness to me to preserve this radio from our time long ago.

Last edited by Dave A; 06-26-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Audiokarma