Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fillers in newscasts

I've often noticed that at the end of the local newscasts, sometimes there will be a longer ending than others. What I mean is, sometimes after the morning newscast, or afternoon newscast, they will show the camera views of certain spots, usually from the radar tower or a beachcam, etc. The theme will play over this. Sometimes this happens for a few brief seconds, but other times it will go on for a minute or more and more shots will be shown. This is also when parts of the theme music that you don't usually hear will be heard.

I suppose this happens after the evening news as well, but usually if it's at night, they will just show a shot of the camera panning out from the set. There have been times that the radar is shown instead of any of these scenes if there are active thunderstorms.

Has anyone noticed this, and am I correct in assuming this is to fill the time slot if the newscast happens to end early?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Mark

Couldn't tell ya, I don't watch tv. I believe your assumption is correct though.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Not here. Our newscasts end about 4.2 seconds after the sports guy ends his segment, ("see ya at 11PM..") or we get a 20-second recap of a summer storm warning. No filler here - straight to local commercials (cars mostly, some lawyers...), then the teaser from the network news.

With tourism, the military, a close border with North Carolina, and many sports teams from Pro to high school, they cut a lot from the local broadcast and run a scroll with "more on our website" - usually human interest or animal related stuff.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

The local news end quickly as I remember.I haven't watch it completely in a long time .After the sports they run a set of adverts and come back for a couple minutes with a recap or fluff filler like "entertainment fluff " or local happy news reports and close up the show saying who on the late shows and see you back on the AM morning shows and the credits roll if its the 11pm news .6pm will close as the anchors stay tune for the Network news and see you at 11pm and the credits roll.Still to this day i wonder why they bother going off at 11:35 instead of just 11:30 sharp.

At this point there is to much news on local TV.It used too be a quick AM morning report 12 noon , 6PM and 11PM Now they all expanded in the morning before the network news shows start .Now some channels the 6PM news to start at 4PM.Then after the late night talkers are over and after the syndicated shows some station rerun the 11PM or like CBS affiliates can go to CBS late overnight news .

The syndicated show producers are probably taking a killing with this because of all the time slots that used too be for them. Now I'm waiting to see when the station will take over the pre prime time 7 to 8PM with news.So much for the Wheel,Jeopardy,Entertainment Tonight,Inside Edition and other shows that run in the time slot.

Last edited by centralradio; 06-17-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
I've often noticed that at the end of the local newscasts, sometimes there will be a longer ending than others. What I mean is, sometimes after the morning newscast, or afternoon newscast, they will show the camera views of certain spots, usually from the radar tower or a beachcam, etc. The theme will play over this. Sometimes this happens for a few brief seconds, but other times it will go on for a minute or more and more shots will be shown. This is also when parts of the theme music that you don't usually hear will be heard.

I suppose this happens after the evening news as well, but usually if it's at night, they will just show a shot of the camera panning out from the set. There have been times that the radar is shown instead of any of these scenes if there are active thunderstorms.

Has anyone noticed this, and am I correct in assuming this is to fill the time slot if the newscast happens to end early?
I would guess it could be not because the newscast ends early, but because it always ends then to leave space for commercials, and if they haven't sold the time, they use the filler. Unless they are complete amateurs, they should be able to time their program to fit the slot. It would be interesting if you would time some newscasts precisely and report which it is.
Audiokarma
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

in 1989 I got a tour by an old CBS technician of the CBS broadcast studio in NYC. There were two men in a very small room, one with a log book, the other with a stop watch. A football game was on. He said into a mic: "station break 15 secs." Then counted down. The guys narrating the football game began to mention "station identification and we'll be right back." Then the screen when black..... every station affiliate would have a designated time to run their commercials... whether they had the full time or short/long of it. What you see is correct. I notice this at night when they are waiting for the designated time for the broadcast (Late Night Shows) to roll their tapes after the evening local news ends. Sometimes, you see a second or two of a known commercial cut off. This is because they are 2 secs too long and got cut off.

I also was shown the 1939 television coaxial in which only two men were allowed to enter its caged in area. It was cloth wire wrapped around a large donut like shape.

The old tech started out as a camera man on the Jackie Gleason show. Did many of Edward R Murrows Person to Person, and walked past Ed Friendly in 1966 on the way to work and said "Hello Mr Friendly." Fred Friendly was in no mood... he just resigned as head of the news division over Paley running reruns of I Love Lucy instead of hearing to escalate into Vietnam.

Last edited by Montman; 06-17-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

NOTHING basically happens 'round here, from now til Sept.The weather, a 2 yr old kid could do that-"We'll see temps in the mid 90s to maybe 100. Strong chance for a late-day thunderboomer...Oh, we MIGHT have a bunch of kids killed in a nasty, juicy wreck but beyond that, snoresville.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Probably not the best to watch,Listen,read any news especially on the national level because most of it is BS.Nevermind the mindless programming that follows it.

Last edited by centralradio; 06-19-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Administrator

All News is this now:

https://youtu.be/DMSHvgaUWc8?list=PL...rrJ5U7rCB33sWZ
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
At this point there is to much news on local TV.It used too be a quick AM morning report 12 noon , 6PM and 11PM Now they all expanded in the morning before the network news shows start .Now some channels the 6PM news to start at 4PM.Then after the late night talkers are over and after the syndicated shows some station rerun the 11PM or like CBS affiliates can go to CBS late overnight news .

The syndicated show producers are probably taking a killing with this because of all the time slots that used too be for them. Now I'm waiting to see when the station will take over the pre prime time 7 to 8PM with news.So much for the Wheel,Jeopardy,Entertainment Tonight,Inside Edition and other shows that run in the time slot.
I agree on that. It used to be the morning news came on at 6AM and went to 9AM, now it comes at 4AM and goes to 10. And nightly news used to be 10PM-11AM, not it stays on until midnight and a recap at 1AM.

I wonder sometimes if they expanded news because it's cheaper to produce than to pay for more morning chat shows, as well as syndicated shows like M*A*S*H or Cops reruns that typically aired during the wee hours after the last newscast. Some say it is to compete with cable news such as CNN, etc, but they are not anything new, so not sure the reason for the sudden expansion.
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Follow the money - look at the commercial content - typically heavy on local car dealers. They are expanding because they have the audience and therefore the sponsors.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
I agree on that. It used to be the morning news came on at 6AM and went to 9AM, now it comes at 4AM and goes to 10. And nightly news used to be 10PM-11AM, not it stays on until midnight and a recap at 1AM.

I wonder sometimes if they expanded news because it's cheaper to produce than to pay for more morning chat shows, as well as syndicated shows like M*A*S*H or Cops reruns that typically aired during the wee hours after the last newscast. Some say it is to compete with cable news such as CNN, etc, but they are not anything new, so not sure the reason for the sudden expansion.
Yes I agree .The local channels and the big 4 want to keep their viewers from changing channels to CNN,FOX News ,MSNBC etc. More likely cheaper to run in house programming and news shows then syndie shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Follow the money - look at the commercial content - typically heavy on local car dealers. They are expanding because they have the audience and therefore the sponsors.
Car dealerships.It seams like every other month here that a new car dealership opens up.Also add attorney ads and pharma ads.

We dont see many ads for stores except around Christmas.Most cant afford it anymore for all year around.Mention above has takin over airtime what the stores used too sponsor programming.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Hahahahahaahaha.That was funny.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Watched the tail end of this morning's newscast. It went off at 8:56 by the time at the corner of screen, said a quick goodbye, showed a quick shot of the beach and it was on to commercials.

BUT, typically the news goes until 10, this morning ending at 9, they showed a special health segment (pre-recorded) and then a cooking segment for the next two half hour blocks that would normally be news. I don't know if the cooking segment was live or pre-recorded. I've never heard of a special cooking segment, usually that's an in-studio weekend thing during the news cast.

They are doing something similar with the noon news, going only from 12 to 12:30 and then showing a weather special (pre-recorded) from 12:30 to 1, usually news fills the whole hour.

Must be a holiday thing.

Last edited by crt89; 07-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

All the self back patting news promos got to stop.Thats all I see here.
Audiokarma