Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just sharing my frustration a bit with USPS.
30 May 2023 14:13
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility. Your item arrived at our KEARNY NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER origin facility on May 30, 2023 at 2:13 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. KEARNY NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ← Expected Delivery by 5/30/23 by 9pm, I DON'T THINK SO-- USPS!

USPS
29 May 2023 01:12
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility TETERBORO NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER ← leaving on a jet plane, just for fun?
USPS
28 May 2023 12:58
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER ← 15 miles away
USPS
28 May 2023 12:57
Departed USPS Regional Facility AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER ← it left before it arrived!

USPS
28 May 2023 03:50
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER
USPS
27 May 2023 11:27
Departed USPS Regional Facility CHICAGO IL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
USPS
27 May 2023 01:37
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility CHICAGO IL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
USPS
26 May 2023 11:49
USPS in possession of item OAK PARK, IL, 60304
USPS
24 May 2023 15:52
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item FOREST PARK, IL, 60130
Old 05-30-2023, 02:55 PM
M is for Memory

If you think that's bad it's just a part for a hobby...
Our local state farm office was not getting mail into their PO box for MONTHS.... People's coverage was lapsing and their business was a mess because of this. For several months in a row our agent kept pestering them to fix it and getting ignored, the runaround, BSed, all the above until eventually someone noticed they had been dumping checks and sensitive legal documents into the wrong PO box for months! Can you imagine getting into an accident and discovering you don't have coverage because the post office wasn't delivering your check.

I get that they are having staffing issues, but at some point there needs to be punishment...If they have to worry about the last 2 months of their paycheck deposits being pulled back from their account or SOMETHING other than layoff that hurts then they'll be more careful.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-30-2023, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

USPS is not the only carrier to engage in long odysseys. I ordered an A/C hose from Phoenix, AZ. I live in the Atlanta, GA area. Fed Ex Ground routed it through Idaho! Come on guys - just get on I-10 and head due east.

Today, I ordered another car part which is being shipped from a town 7 miles away. DHL says it will be here on Friday. Before you ask, the company won't let me pick it up in person.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm just having flashbacks of when I tried to get a NOS vertical block transformer for my Arvin over 2 years ago or so from e-bay, the first one was lost when it got to the local PO, they never found it, the 2nd one was DOA, a bad one, used in a new box, which was lost on the way back RMA, the 3rd and final came from ETF, and I was very nervous tracking it all the way from Hilliard, OH, hoping that USPS would not mess it up as well.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

C3 replaced

http://suzaku.live-evil.org/0530232043.jpg
http://suzaku.live-evil.org/0530232044.jpg

C2 is next.

one thing i noticed
most of the time when the set is turned on, there is no luminance at all, brightness cont has no effect, but if I switch it in and out of service mode several times, it will suddenly start working.
weird.

all it does it cut power to IF 1&2 and the pincushion amp.

still waiting for new tubes
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2023, 09:54 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

"all it does it cut power to IF 1&2 and the pincushion amp."

Are you sure? I thought the service switch usually defeats the brightness adjustment also.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
"all it does it cut power to IF 1&2 and the pincushion amp."

Are you sure? I thought the service switch usually defeats the brightness adjustment also.
you would think so, but they seem to do things odd in this one,

http://suzaku.live-evil.org/servi1.jpg

and that one line down goes to power the 12AX7 VIA L48
http://suzaku.live-evil.org/servi2.jpg
Old 05-31-2023, 07:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

First step in greyscale setup is to set brightness, CRT bias & screens full CCW, so it's clear that brightness defeat was left out for some reason.

I just know that for now, it has this odd behavior which may or may no be tied to old tubes, hopefully new IF and 6GH8As, 6LM8 will be here by the weekend w/o a detour across the country like the 6MD8 did.

Will just have to see if they make any change, otherwise there is something very weird going on that I have not seen before.

Symptoms are as mentioned above, MOST of the time, not always.
First cold turn on, no luminance , very dark screen, brightness has no effect at all, but some chroma seen faintly on screen, sound OK.

After about 60-90 sec.
Flip service switch in and out about 5 times a BOOM! Luminance comes to life, and brightness cont now works, however does not have the full contrast it should have.

Weird.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:05 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

So, you're saying S9 has only the two sections, A and B. Hard to see how it can kill luma without also killing chroma. Definitely weird.

Regarding low contrast, tube color sets rely heavily on adequate gain of the video output tube. For the old Magnavox I had, I bought 5 or 6 video output tubes and swapped them out until I found the highest gain one. It made a big difference.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
So, you're saying S9 has only the two sections, A and B. Hard to see how it can kill luma without also killing chroma. Definitely weird.

Regarding low contrast, tube color sets rely heavily on adequate gain of the video output tube. For the old Magnavox I had, I bought 5 or 6 video output tubes and swapped them out until I found the highest gain one. It made a big difference.
The way they have the brightness control is a bit odd, at least I have not seen anything like it before, seems to be some odd feedback loop, it starts from point 30 on the linked schematic above, far side of the 2 peaking coils off the detector, and goes to the bottom of the brightness control pot, right before another peaking coil that feeds G1 of the video output.
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2023, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

c2 Replaced!

http://suzaku.live-evil.org/0531232009.jpg

it WAS borderline bad.

i could not cram any more under there if I wanted!
powered up OK, with horz disabled, no smoke!
will have to get some silicone this weekend to tack it all down neatly.
hopefully I can get away with leaving C1 as is, cause i just cant get to it.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

This maggie seems to have borrowed a bit from the RCA CTC-20 when it comes to the video amps and brightness control, including the cathode follower/ chroma sync amp and what looks like negative feedback loop circuit, where the Hoffman Colorcaster looked closer to a RCA CTC-16 (17 perhaps?)
Can't say which method is better. :/

Will post more schematics tonight.
More tubes are due by the weekend, in the meantime, will check peaking coils, seriously doubt any will be bad.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, the brightness control of this TV, something a bit new to me. :P

http://suzaku.live-evil.org/bright-1.jpg

The POT seems to adjust the bias of the grid on the video output V6, this is nothing new, seen it before, but what is new to me is trace 30, http://suzaku.live-evil.org/bright-2.jpg
which feeds in right after the detector and before the delay line line and first video amp and cathode follower, and seems to be some kind of negative feedback circuit i have not seen before in a tube set in the video area.
granted, I have worked mostly with RCA stuff.

on a lighter note one more tube came today, a NOS 100% tested 6GH8A, for the V19 blanker/ banbpass http://suzaku.live-evil.org/0601231819.jpg

just got my nails done today!

more tubes will come over the next 2 days, hopefully
Old 06-02-2023, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

2 more NOS tubes due today 1st & 2nd IF, (6GM6 6JH6), 3rd tomorrow, or so says USPS, as well as the 3 tested “good” used RCA 6GH8As, Tested At 88/88 Or Better, however the NOS 6LM8 won't show till next week.

But everything I'm seeing, says that the 6GH8A is a drop in compatible sub for 6LM8, so, since I do now have the one NOS 6GH8A in place at V19 blanker/banpass, new IF tubes, (hopefully), and 3 good tested 6GH8As to try in the meantime while I wait for the NOS 6LM8 cathode follower's place, I should hope to see some improvement I would guess.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
OK, the brightness control of this TV, something a bit new to me. :P

http://suzaku.live-evil.org/bright-1.jpg

The POT seems to adjust the bias of the grid on the video output V6, this is nothing new, seen it before, but what is new to me is trace 30, http://suzaku.live-evil.org/bright-2.jpg
which feeds in right after the detector and before the delay line line and first video amp and cathode follower, and seems to be some kind of negative feedback circuit i have not seen before in a tube set in the video area.
granted, I have worked mostly with RCA stuff.

on a lighter note one more tube came today, a NOS 100% tested 6GH8A, for the V19 blanker/ banbpass http://suzaku.live-evil.org/0601231819.jpg

just got my nails done today!

more tubes will come over the next 2 days, hopefully
Brightness in the Magnavox T931 and T933 is just partial DC restoration where the brightness potentiometer controls how partial the DC restoration is. In more detail: the DC bias of the output of the video detector is the DC bias of the video signal, the actual brightness. The pot is used to create a new DC bias that is the average of the actual DC bias off the video detector and a constant DC bias of around 2.5 volts. You want to set cutoff of the CRT using the CRT G2 pots and CRT G1 pots so that you can dial the brightness pot as low as possible because that maximizes the amount of DC coupling of the original video signal’s DC bias, that is, this preserves the actual brightness information of the original video signal. The higher the brightness pot, the less brightness info you keep from the video signal.
Audiokarma