Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

1965 Sylvania Screen Shots

I've been clearing out some of my sets, and actually working on some. This baby hadn't been fired up in years, so decided to turn it on. Altho my camera doesn't show it, the picture is fantastic (except I need to set the purity)
It had a Sylvania "new gun" picture tube AND a new flyback installed in 1984.
Picture tube has a bit of green halo, and the spots you see on the front are dirt. I will windex it off
Anyway.. this set is the best performer out of all my roundies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00287.jpg (66.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00288.jpg (41.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Me Likey !
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

To see photographs such as this are a reason to enjoy life!
You are a good man such preserve this valuable TV
Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

i think im becoming a color roundie addick or junkie take your pick, i dont just want a few i want them all i see. its a sickness man ,i dont want help either.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Once you buy one, they just keep multiplying. My first one(color roundie) turned into six. More TV's then I could ever use. I'm sure there will be more someday.
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
i think im becoming a color roundie addick or junkie take your pick, i dont just want a few i want them all i see. its a sickness man ,i dont want help either.
...Just hope 'n' pray that you NEVER get a "Jones" for Old Radios, they are FAR more common than Roundies...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
...Just hope 'n' pray that you NEVER get a "Jones" for Old Radios, they are FAR more common than Roundies...
you know yrs ago when i had a good size collection late 70 all 80's ,i really never thought other people did the samething after loosing everthing in the 90's i just gave it up and started drinking and dirt biking, now that i cant work or dirt bike or drink ,i remembered how much fun working on tube tv was and that there are people that enjoy old tv's too. you can talk about tv's to people that like them to ,unlike freinds or family that think your wasting your time and have know idea what im talking about. but there always there when something breaks down and they want me to fix it.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

YES YES YES, they are like stray cats! Once they figure out you dont turn them away or euthanize them they keep showing up.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sylvania Roundie

I am totally amazed that any kind of CRT was still available for a roundie in 1984!!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set! I have the metal cabinet table model version.
Audiokarma
Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

kind of an interesting back-story on this set....I got it in 1994. My Aunt and Uncle bought a big old house that had been split into apartments, and this was in one of them. My cousin used to use it to play Super Nintendo. When they gave it to me, I lived in an apartment, but there were big storage lockers, and I had it in one of those. I moved from there in 1996, and the set got left behind. Flas forward to 2004 when I thought "I wonder if it is still there?" and.. I still had the key to the lock. went there with a buddy and yes.. it was untouched and still there! I've had it stored in my basement since. And yes.. you could still get a 21FJP22 in 84, but not much longer after that. My CTC-16 has a Grade AA tube that has a 1976 code date, the Sylvainia is a rebuild, but my Zenith roundie has some off brand tube in it, from 1989, and that totally surprised me that one could still get one at that point.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was a parts wholesaler in Oklahoma City that got into the rebuilding business in the 60's and starting getting dealers to buy and resell 5 year picture tube warranties. They were still around in the mid 80's.
IIRC, Trice Wholesale. By doing the rebuild themselves, that cut their costs related to warranty replacements.

Last edited by John Adams; 07-10-2012 at 11:17 PM.