Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:31 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

You remind me of my Uncle when he and my Aunt moved off the farm to a new house in town. When I visited, he showed me how many circuits he was putting in "so my TV picture won't shrink when she irons!"
Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
In subdivisions with underground wiring, there will often be metal transformer boxes above ground, sometimes in between houses, to serve several houses. I'm not aware of underground transformers but there may be some but wonder about such an installation flooding.
Is that what these boxes are? (Sorry about the poor pic, this was taken from my cars dash cam).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dragon/box.png
Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvman View Post
Keep in mind the older sets used a straight foward power supply with no form of voltage regulation. The newer sets all have voltage regulators with for the most part can handle a wide swing on the input voltage.
I was scrolling down to say what you just said, oldtvman, but you beat me to it.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Is that what these boxes are? (Sorry about the poor pic, this was taken from my cars dash cam).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dragon/box.png
Hard to see how big that is - in my old neighborhood, they were in a green box about 3 feet by 4 feet in size. It just struck me that I don't know where they are in my current neighborhood - wonder if they could be on the poles just outside the subdivision? Have to take a look at my neighbors' back yards.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those dimensions pretty much match this green box.
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Motorola Minion

Those residential, single-phase pad-mount transformers have very low impedance (internal resistance). That means higher available short-circuit current and ultimately better voltage regulation.

We had the same issues when using just a vacuum cleaner show up on the 1972 Sony KV1210.
There was a Truman-Era transformer with brown porcelains and wires, not terminals (7 kVA and rated for only 29 amps) on the road pole and 100 feet of #4 aluminum overhead wire to a small-round meter base. When you add up all that series resistance and multiply it by even 20 amps, the voltage drop is enough to be VERY noticeable on anything old that lights up
Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Charlie noted some may not know what an attic fan is: Back in ancient times before A/C was common, houses in the South often had attic fans, what they call today whole house fans. There would be a louvered opening in a hallway ceiling and a large fan, 36 to 48" diameter in the attic. You'd leave the house windows open and this thing would exhaust heat from the house into the attic and out the attic vents. As kids we'd wait until the coast was clear and then close all the windows but one and stand in the huge blast from that window. You were warned not to close all the windows with the fan on because it could pull the wallpaper off the walls! Sometimes it would slam doors to a room if a lot of air was coming from that room.

Those pad mounted transformers for underground wiring: I saw one with the cover off one time and it looked like a gigantic bare audio output transformer with the usual E and I laminations, and a bunch of screw terminals.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Still have a working Reed attic fan in New Orleans! I use a "always on the inverter" sine wave UPS for the TV's. It stops them from getting upset when the AC kicks on. The UPS is an industrial 3500 watt unit that is connected to one circuit of the house. We had a tornado come thru a few years ago and knock out the power. The neighbor across the street wanted to know how my power stayed on. I looked at her and said "you remember the Twilight Zone with the neighborhood controlled by the aliens? If memory serves me right I think it was titled "Main Street".
She was not amused.......
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I know this may sound strange, but where I live, there's no above ground power poles or anything like that, it's all underground.

Where would they even put the transformers for situations like this?
Rounded dark green boxes about the size of a table model roundy color TV, sitting on the ground right in plain sight. I used to live in Lakeland Fl and the 70's development we lived in had them, same ones were also used at the apartment I just moved out of here in Wi.

I'm starting to miss the electrical grid there as I just started using my vintage sets again and a some times of day the lighting flickers and the sets bloom(usually several times a minute) which is annoying the crap out of me!....When I get time I'm going to try and track down the source of the issue.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
In subdivisions with underground wiring, there will often be metal transformer boxes above ground, ...
Usually painted green, in an attempt to blend in with the landscaping. And they have a padlock on an access door, to keep kids from finding 8 to 13KV at a very low impedance.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Still have a working Reed attic fan in New Orleans! I use a "always on the inverter" sine wave UPS for the TV's. It stops them from getting upset when the AC kicks on. The UPS is an industrial 3500 watt unit that is connected to one circuit of the house. We had a tornado come thru a few years ago and knock out the power. The neighbor across the street wanted to know how my power stayed on. I looked at her and said "you remember the Twilight Zone with the neighborhood controlled by the aliens? If memory serves me right I think it was titled "Main Street".
She was not amused.......
It was titled "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street". In the new Twilight Zone series they told the same story but instead of aliens, the government was the one cutting the power to test the reaction of citizens in a crisis.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was chucklin' at 'icebox', but didn't think I should say anything!

It's all good, though!

Chip
Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

one thing that gets overlooked alot is how good is fuse panel outside grounding rod connection, it can look good and even test ok, but when your over-all power demands increase the ground becomes resisted and any slight surge or demand becomes really noticable ,what you can do to check it is turn on what you normialy do to make the surges or just turn on alot of stuff ,clean a spot on the ground rod file/sandpaper and on the panel wire ,set your multimeter to a/c scale put one leed on the rod and other on the wire and see how many volts you read if too much shows than clean the ground connection see if surging stops. make sure if you disconect your ground to clean it its best turn off your power or you might complete the ground .

Last edited by snelson903; 07-11-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
...,clean a spot on the ground rod file/sandpaper and on the panel wire ,....
Be very careful poking around inside a circuit breaker or fuse panel. Not only is there the usual shock hazard, but another serious hazard called "Arc blast". You've seen sparks when a short happens, but most of those had limited small amounts of power behind them. But the feed from the power company to your house has a very large amount of power available to a short circuit. Enough to melt and vaporize say a screwdriver shaft. And you really don't want your face anywhere near that.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Be very careful poking around inside a circuit breaker or fuse panel. Not only is there the usual shock hazard, but another serious hazard called "Arc blast". You've seen sparks when a short happens, but most of those had limited small amounts of power behind them. But the feed from the power company to your house has a very large amount of power available to a short circuit. Enough to melt and vaporize say a screwdriver shaft. And you really don't want your face anywhere near that.
you only should have to turn off the main breaker to clean your ground rod,and if its a newer home it should have second saftey box ground . if you messing around with your lead in wiring before the main breaker you bet youll get a arc blast or what blows the easyest, the screwdriver / meter / or if get enough load the pole fuse will open ,then your power company comes out to vist. if your updating your breaker panel from 100- 200 amp you will have to pull your meter, dont try to it any other way .

Last edited by snelson903; 07-12-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Audiokarma