Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Wow .Thats a classic.easy to work on.Big fat power transformer and maybe separate pc boards for each function like the classic Panasonic's have..

WARNING .Wear your steel toe work boots when moving this or any VCR from that era.Your toes would appreciate it.
Yeah, This thing is a Beast! It weighs at least 20# if not more.
I was able to get the left hand side reel to rotate again, I think now I just need to get those belts and I think the VCR should function again.
There's a motor and belt drive assembly in the very back of the VCR that's linked to something in the VCR but I'm not sure what it goes to, any ideas as to what it would of went to?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
I got some temporary belts off of a couple of walkman tape players and installed those and even with those installed it still won't work right so apparently the lack of belts aren't the only thing causing the problems with this thing...

Where can a guy get a decent copy of the service manual for this VCR without having to pay for it? I would like to try and locate the service manual for this VCR so I can find the exact size of the belts I need for this thing because that website you told me about that had the belts there only shows sizes of the belts it doesn't go by make and model of the VCR.
I have one in multipage TIFF format (how Hitachi provided manuals for their legacy stuff). It has no troubleshooting section - that would be in the service seminar manual, something I don't have. The manual is dated August 1980 and has a supplement for some changed Syscon boards.

The website I shared does have your VCR listed - you have to look it up.....in the cross reference, a PDF manual on the website as I mentioned. Page 173....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I have one in multipage TIFF format (how Hitachi provided manuals for their legacy stuff). It has no troubleshooting section - that would be in the service seminar manual, something I don't have. The manual is dated August 1980 and has a supplement for some changed Syscon boards.

The website I shared does have your VCR listed - you have to look it up.....in the cross reference, a PDF manual on the website as I mentioned. Page 173....
Oh, Ok I think I had just downloaded the parts catalog which is probably why it wasn't very helpful (the parts catalog was the same size as the cross-reference guide that you listed which is what kind of threw me for a loop).
Anyways so there's only 2 main belts that drive this entire VCR Mechanism, wow that's amazing, allthough that doesn't explain the third belt and motor drive mechanism I saw in the back of the VCR between the chroma board and the tape drive mechanism. What would of that been for? The belt on it is in perfect shape yet but it doesn't seem to have a purpose (it doesn't seem to work with the tape drive mechanism in any way when its rotated by hand).
So how could they get a 2-head VCR to perform some of the same functions as a 4-Head VCR back then? Did they even have 4-Head VCRs back then when this VCR was made?

EDIT: I looked up the cross-reference chart you were referring to and looked up the belts I needed and the only belt I could find in their parts catalog was the SCY6.0, but the SQX4.6 couldn't be found, was there maybe a typo in the cross-reference chart and maybe they meant SCY4.6?

OK, I didn't realize you actually had to call this company to make an order, I think I would rather see if there's another place to get my parts from because I'm not too keen on using my credit card over the phone seeing as I don't know who I'm dealing with and for all I know they could steal my credit card info.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-02-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
OK, I didn't realize you actually had to call this company to make an order, I think I would rather see if there's another place to get my parts from because I'm not too keen on using my credit card over the phone seeing as I don't know who I'm dealing with and for all I know they could steal my credit card info.
Someone here in the forum may have the belts - a lot of us have belts from our own repairs - I have several hundred, along with a bunch of idler tires and pinch rollers - mine came from a place I used to work at, but I don't have your belts. Your Hitachi is the same as a GE 1VCR1012W - made for GE by Hitachi. I have a Video cross-ref for parts that lists that model...

Search using Google - you'll find dealers that list the belt(s) and allow you to place an online order. Just ensure you have an https connection first...

Credit card fraud (was) more likely with "card present" transactions than over the phone or internet - fraudsters with a card could 100% clone a card and CVV, and charge up thousands before you even left the store. Now, with the chip cards, it's still easy to clone the magnetic strip, but in a year or so, all card readers will be chip-only, and eliminate the magnetic strip. In 2011, my parents used one of their cards in West Texas, while traveling, and it was cloned in the restaurant and maxed out the same night. Visa fraud detection called them and verified their only use at the restaurant - that had some previous fraud/cloning detected there. A year later, Dateline NBC featured the restaurant in a sting pulled off by an FBI task force - 11 people arrested, restaurant seized, and several hundred cloned cards recovered - but only after $16.5 million was transferred to Ukraine.

I remember chip credit cards and phone cards in Europe in the mid-90s, but then, European banks have been all over security, unlike the US, where laws favored the banks over the consumer...

Old 10-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Someone here in the forum may have the belts - a lot of us have belts from our own repairs - I have several hundred, along with a bunch of idler tires and pinch rollers - mine came from a place I used to work at, but I don't have your belts. Your Hitachi is the same as a GE 1VCR1012W - made for GE by Hitachi. I have a Video cross-ref for parts that lists that model...

Search using Google - you'll find dealers that list the belt(s) and allow you to place an online order. Just ensure you have an https connection first...

Credit card fraud (was) more likely with "card present" transactions than over the phone or internet - fraudsters with a card could 100% clone a card and CVV, and charge up thousands before you even left the store. Now, with the chip cards, it's still easy to clone the magnetic strip, but in a year or so, all card readers will be chip-only, and eliminate the magnetic strip. In 2011, my parents used one of their cards in West Texas, while traveling, and it was cloned in the restaurant and maxed out the same night. Visa fraud detection called them and verified their only use at the restaurant - that had some previous fraud/cloning detected there. A year later, Dateline NBC featured the restaurant in a sting pulled off by an FBI task force - 11 people arrested, restaurant seized, and several hundred cloned cards recovered - but only after $16.5 million was transferred to Ukraine.

I remember chip credit cards and phone cards in Europe in the mid-90s, but then, European banks have been all over security, unlike the US, where laws favored the banks over the consumer...
OK, well do you have any suggestions of places online I might check that would have the belts I'm looking for that would do online orders instead of phone orders? Its not that I don't trust the people at the company you told be about its just that I don't like talking on the phone unless I have to (i'm very phone shy).

And yes I do have Secure Hypertext Transfer Protocol on my web browser that's all I ever use when I browse any website after having an incident where I had ordered some parts online once with my credit card (before getting paypal) and then having someone run up over $500 in charges on my card at places like Lowes and Wal-Mart which then I had to get my card replaced (and this actually happened to me twice). Anyways since then I use Paypal linked to my bank account with any and all online transactions I make, its much safer that way (no credit cards for people to steal and run charges up on).

EDIT: I looked over at SMC Electronics and they had the belts I needed, although I'm going to wait until I get my next round of spending money from my mom to to get them because the belts are $4 a piece plus $4.95 flat rate shipping which brought it up to about $12.95 which I only have $10 and some change left in my account right now which isn't enough to cover the cost of the belts.
I did manage to get the left side reel to turn which it wasn't doing that before so I'm guessing that once I get those belts replaced it will start working again, more than likely what happened to this VCR was that the drive belts for the right hand side reel and the counter belt both disintigrated into goo and that's why whoever owned the VCR before decided to get rid of the VCR because they figured since nobody fixed them anymore it wasn't worth keeping it so they took it to the computer store for them to dispose of it, what's interesting is that the VCR was in its original box with its original manual and original unused channel tabs still in the original unopened celaphane bag but no sign of the original remote or cable for the remote (this had a wired remote with it originally).
What's interesting is that it looked like the VCR was stored in an outdoor storage shed as it had a lot of water damage on the bottom of the box and had a lot of outdoor debris in it (grass clippings and what not) in the box and the VCR itself was covered in a layer of dirt and grass clippings.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-02-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Banned

I've got the belts for this unit ordered so hopefully I can can finally get this VCR going and hopefully that's all that this VCR will need.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Banned

Should be getting the belts for this VCR today finally, after nearly a week of waiting for it to get shipped and delivered, (I had ordered the belts from SMC Electronics last Monday and they didn't even ship the belts out until last Thursday and the belts are just now arriving in the mail today supposedly, so has anyone else experienced this horrible of a turnover time as far as getting parts sent out and then getting them delivered (whether it be from SMC or some other parts supplier?)
Old 10-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Stuck in the past!

I second that phone shy stuff. I'm the same way. I'll text all day but if I actually have to call, forget it.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
I second that phone shy stuff. I'm the same way. I'll text all day but if I actually have to call, forget it.
OK Well apparently this VCR has more wrong with it than just belts because I just installed the new belts and the VCR still refuses to play (it will load the tape into the player but then it sits for a few seconds and then loads the tape back into the tape housing again) the supply reel turns just fine but the take up reel (which I thought that replacing the belts for it would fix it) absolutely refuses to budge which is why the VCR refuses to play, also the F.Forward and REW. functions still don't work all they do is make the solenoids for the functions click and that's it, it doesn't actually trigger the mechanism like it should, so there's clearly something else in this VCR that's gone bad or isn't functioning correctly that's causing this VCR not to work properly, but I'm not sure what it is.

Any ideas as to what else could of failed in this VCR to be causing the no play issue and the no F. Forward and Rew. Function issues? I know it can't be the idler assembly as the idler tire on this VCR has no rubber tire on it (its just a piece of round ribbed plastic) and I don't think its the solenoids because they all are functional (they all click like they're supposed to when they're triggered letting you know that they're getting juice/signal from the buttons). Is there some sort of component that was known to go bad in this VCR that would cause these symptoms and if so would it be a simple repair?

UPDATE: I finally got the rewind and Fast Forward to activate like its supposed to, but its still doesn't want to play the tape though, it'll load the tape no problem but that's about as far as it gets before the mechanism gives up and reloads the tape back into the cassette.
The other issue I've noticed now that I've got the Rewind and Fast Forward going is that the fast forward goes at its proper speed, but when you go to rewind the tape barely moves and I'm not sure what's causing that issue.
Also I had noticed previously that a winged worm-gear had fallen out of the cabinet (like one of those winged worm-gears that is used to govern music box mechanisms) and anywas at first I thought it was something that didn't belong in there but then after closer inspection of the VCR Mechanism I noticed a small gearbox assembly on the bottom of the VCR mechanism that had small clockwork style gears in it that I saw an area in the mechanism that was where that little winged worm-gear went into the mechanism so I reinstalled the gear but of course it seems that the little clockwork mechanism doesn't seem to do anything for the VCR that's super obvious (although after I repaired that clockwork mechanism that was when the rewind and fast forward functions started to work again).

So does anyone know what the little clockwork mechanism does in this VCR?
Also does anyone know why the Rewind function would move super slow while the Fast Forward function works perfectly fine, and why the VCR still wont play a tape?

EDIT: I figured out why it isn't playing tapes, there seems to be an idler tire that goes between this large Drum style motor on the underside of the VCR Mechanism that is supposed to then go and drive a brass "tire" that in turn would drive the take-up reel (See attached photos) but that idler tire under the VCR Mehanism seems to be broken around the inside diameter and because of that the idler tire can't drive the take-up reel properly. Where might I find the aforementioned idler tire? Would some place like SMC Electronics have it? and if so how much? Also I noticed that the large brass capstan roller inside the VCR Mechanism (see pictures) has a small round plastic ring on the top of it that seems to of broken off or something and I was wondering how critical to this VCR's functionality that piece is, if its not would it be ok to remove that piece of plastic out of there so it doesn't disturb the playing of the VCR?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2568.jpg (48.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2570.jpg (55.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2571.jpg (40.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-13-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Where might I find the aforementioned idler tire? Would some place like SMC Electronics have it? and if so how much?
Do you get google on your computer? First hit:

Stock #: VCRIW41 5 bux...

Audiokarma
Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I see there is still a lot of the black goo from the old rubber in the pulley. That needs to be cleaned with naphtha or lighter fluid will do nicely, otherwise the new belt will stick to it.

That plastic ring- cut it off. It breaks off that smoothing roller. Or take it apart like I used to do. I used to take the arm off, add a layer of tape to the plastic where the brass roller fits to take up the loose play. Sometimes the bottom would break off instead, allowing the brass part to fall down actually drag on the tape since it couldn't turn.

Those were not particularly reliable machines even back in the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beltgoo1.jpg (37.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
I see there is still a lot of the black goo from the old rubber in the pulley. That needs to be cleaned with naphtha or lighter fluid will do nicely, otherwise the new belt will stick to it.

That plastic ring- cut it off. It breaks off that smoothing roller. Or take it apart like I used to do. I used to take the arm off, add a layer of tape to the plastic where the brass roller fits to take up the loose play. Sometimes the bottom would break off instead, allowing the brass part to fall down actually drag on the tape since it couldn't turn.

Those were not particularly reliable machines even back in the day.
I was using 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to take the goo off of the pulleys which works as well, I don't have access to lighter fluid or that Naptha stuff you're talking about, anyways that idler tire definitely seems to be what's wrong with it because it doesn't engage properly with the capstan pincher motor (which is also supposed to drive the take-up reel) and anyways I wonder if a regular O-Ring from the Hardware store of the appropriate diameter would work to replace the old rubber on the idler tire in question...

That Idler by the way is a pain in the butt to get out of there because you have to remove the capstan pincher motor which is held into place with 4 screws of which 2 of the screws are only accessible only after removing the pincher roller assembly and then you can get that darned blasted idler tire out!

But anyways I would think that once that idler tire (or at least the rubber on it anyways) is replaced I think then it should start working again.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you get google on your computer? First hit:

Stock #: VCRIW41 5 bux...
Yes I have access to google, and I guess I'll go see if I can look that part up.
I wonder though if just a regular old O-Ring from the hardware store of the appropriate size would work to replace the old rubber on the idler tire assembly on this VCR?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Banned

Well I've got the rewind and f. forward working perfectly, but still no dice on the play function, the capstan pincher roller assembly I've noticed isn't engaging properly, when it engages with the tape, it only engages part of the way in instead of all the way in, because when I put a little force onto the pincher roller assembly and the tape starts moving in play mode but then the VCR kicks the tape back out of the mechanism.

So what should I look into now? I was able to get the idler tire to work again (apparently the idler tire mechanism and the solenoid mechanism was out of whack which is why the idler tire wasn't engaging with the capstan motor) so now I just need to figure out why the pincher roller isn't engaging with the tape which is what's causing the no play issue (the pincher roller mechanism also engages the top side of the idler tire mechanism with the take-up reel and since that's not engaging properly its not playing). Also I noticed that when I try to rewind a tape that's longer than an hour the rewind mechanism poops out once it gets towards the beginning of the tape, the fast forward part works fine but the rewind just can't rewind completely a tape that's longer than an hour (90+ minute tapes).

any ideas folks?

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-14-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Banned

Well went back to the computer store where I picked up this VCR at in their freebie pile and I looked back over their freebie pile (technically it was a bin but either way) and to my amazement on the very bottom of the freebie pile bin was sitting the original remote for this VCR so I reached down in there and pulled it out and sure enough the remote showed signs that it had been chewed on by a dog (the 15' cable was taped up in a couple of spots presumably to cover up some spots where the original owner's dog had chewed the cord and then the actual control interface of the remote (where the buttons are at) had bite marks and scuff marks from where a dog had apparently chewed on the remote. Anyways I got the remote home plugged the VCR in, and plugged in the remote to it to test if it still worked or not after all these years and sure enough every function that was testable in the VCR's current running condition (rewind, fast forward and the play button) seem to work fine (not sure about the special effects, pause, record and audio dub functions as the VCR still can't play a tape properly yet) and the channel button doesn't seem to work right, as when I tried to change the channel with it it would randomly activate either the rewind, fast forward, or play functions instead or it would just shut the VCR off period (which I don't think its supposed to do those things which tells me that the circuit board probably needs cleaning from sitting for so long unused).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2573.jpg (57.6 KB, 12 views)
Audiokarma