Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Update again, things are still going good now between my grandparents and I, and my mother has been very supportive over everything to make sure I remain in good shape after everything I've been through. I have been very happy still, and now that my desktop computer is setup again, I can properly relax and feel at home.

Now for the TV since this thing is my new project, it looks like it's been dropped at one point in its life, but nothing electronic has failed, it's fared pretty well actually, just needed to superglue some plastic parts inside back in place, and while there I took some photos. It appears to be made by TTE, the chassis is an ATC-106. I have the contrast turned down to 35/100 and it's still super bright. Found the service menu's as well (set volume to 0, hold down volume down and hit info on the remote). So I made some adjustments to the guns as the color temperature was far too blue. As I saw the cuttoff and drives, I determined it may never have been properly setup at the factory, so I connected my pattern generator and then adjusted the geometry and linearity as well.

Now she looks even better! https://imgur.com/a/C86aGe3
Old 11-01-2018, 05:02 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've never met someone that lived by 'Frequency-resolved optical gating' before...You must be an interesting person.
Well, I did get "most unique personality" in my senior year in high school, it had to come from somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Update again, things are still going good now between my grandparents and I, and my mother has been very supportive over everything to make sure I remain in good shape after everything I've been through. I have been very happy still, and now that my desktop computer is setup again, I can properly relax and feel at home.
Daaamn, nice comeback so far! Seems to me that tellys come second to computers for you, and that you prefer more modern CRT sets anyway so rebuilding should be relatively easy.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post

Now for the TV since this thing is my new project, it looks like it's been dropped at one point in its life, but nothing electronic has failed, it's fared pretty well actually, just needed to superglue some plastic parts inside back in place, and while there I took some photos. It appears to be made by TTE, the chassis is an ATC-106. I have the contrast turned down to 35/100 and it's still super bright. Found the service menu's as well (set volume to 0, hold down volume down and hit info on the remote). So I made some adjustments to the guns as the color temperature was far too blue. As I saw the cuttoff and drives, I determined it may never have been properly setup at the factory, so I connected my pattern generator and then adjusted the geometry and linearity as well.

Now she looks even better! https://imgur.com/a/C86aGe3
I have several models of that particular design. Three 14's and two 20's. They work well and are reliable. These are very low hours sets. The clear "prison sets" are similar.
I got a 20' freebee set like it, but in was a high hours set and didn't quite measure up in picture quality. Gave it away to a neighbor for his garage workshop. I showed him it didn't need a convertor for OTA.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Well, I did get "most unique personality" in my senior year in high school, it had to come from somewhere.

Daaamn, nice comeback so far! Seems to me that tellys come second to computers for you, and that you prefer more modern CRT sets anyway so rebuilding should be relatively easy.
Yea, I tend to prefer the more modern CRT's for modern inputs like S-Video or YPrPb (I never called it Component for some reason). If a vintage tube set could be converted for YPrPb input, I'd be in love, or even better, RGB (which seems to be easier to do on anything with a jungle IC that uses a closed captioning decoder).
Old 11-01-2018, 11:44 AM
M is for Memory

Technically yprpb are the luminance and x and y chroma decoder output channels on any xy color demodulation tube set... granted you need to delay the y to reach the CRT at the same time as the chroma, and video amplification and or inversion needs vary from set to set.

You can get yprpb out of rgb by preforming signal addition and subtraction with video op amps...it all depends on how much you want to bother to mod a given set.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2018, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Technically yprpb are the luminance and x and y chroma decoder output channels on any xy color demodulation tube set... granted you need to delay the y to reach the CRT at the same time as the chroma, and video amplification and or inversion needs vary from set to set.

You can get yprpb out of rgb by preforming signal addition and subtraction with video op amps...it all depends on how much you want to bother to mod a given set.
For RGB to YPrPb conversion, I actually already have a board I built for that years ago (12 now I think?). It just requires composite sync, which is pretty easy to get anyway.

But hmm, so you could in theory do this on a tube set then. I might consider looking into this when I get my own place again.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Im glad things are better buddy.....I hope they continue