Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bose wave radio

I picked up this 1998 Bose wave AM/FM radio up at the flea market for $20 and I made sure it worked before buying it. It was filthy when I got it; but, a good clean up made it look decent. I recall these things costing several hundred dollars when new and looking on ebay, I can't believe what these are going for. Even the "parts units" are often going for $50. I advertised this one on the local facebook "buy/sell" pages for $60 (I'd take a lot less if someone showed serious interest); but, so far, all I've gotten is "can I connect my phone to it?", to which I replied that they could with an inexpensive adapter cable (this unit has RCA AUX input jacks). The other one claimed they wanted it; but, backed out when they saw that it had no built-in CD player. If it doesn't sell, I'll add it to the other radios over here; but, I'm a little shocked that someone didn't gobble it up (although I shouldn't be shocked - if people in my area bought this; that would either cut into their new iphone fund or their alcobux).

Performance wise, the radio sounds good for it's size. The FM sensitivity is average and the AM sensitivity pulls in the local stations; but, nothing distant during the daytime. I agree with what others have said about Bose stuff being overrated and overpriced.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those sound pretty good for thier size.. At least for $20.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 PM
catman

G'day all, an interesting thread. Yes the Bose stuff is interesting but as you say overrated, but Bose have long had the 'knack' of knowing 'marketing'.

It might be a good radio but I wouldn't be without my Tivoli and Sangean table radio's and my beloved GE Superadio MK2. They are all superb radios in every way. Regards, Felix aka catman (vk4fuq).

Last edited by catman; 09-10-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 PM
M is for Memory

Funny story when I was young I used to think the brand was associated with clowns.
There was a BOZO the clown program in Chicago (IIRC it was starting into it's government sanctioned death spiral then) that was well yakked about by my dad's generation who grew up watching it, and the names sounded rather similar...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Funny story when I was young I used to think the brand was associated with clowns.
There was a BOZO the clown program in Chicago (IIRC it was starting into it's government sanctioned death spiral then) that was well yakked about by my dad's generation who grew up watching it, and the names sounded rather similar...
You're referring to the people that paid all that money, originally. They had to be a bunch of Bozo's
Buying them used, for a few bucks, would be a good deal.
Audiokarma
Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Someone just bought the Bose. I had $60 on it, they offered $50 and I took it.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know I could have gotten more on ebay; but, I didn't want to deal with the ebay BS. I only had $20 in it and all I did was clean it up. So, $30 profit wasn't too bad.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

My cousin has a Bose wave radio like that but with the flat skinny remote and a built-in CD player...I was abusing it for its mediocre tuning but I popped in one of my CDs (I gave her my entire CD collection as I no longer have a player) and was impressed by the fullness of sound for its small size. Granted, it was probably a response curve of say, 250Hz - 6kHz +/-3dB or something, but for small spaces it makes sense I suppose.
BTW, the test disc was Steve Winwood-Back in the Highlife 1986 on Island..(the DMM vinyl I sourced sounds way better than the redbook!!)
Old 09-12-2014, 02:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Granted, it was probably a response curve of say, 250Hz - 6kHz +/-3dB or something, but for small spaces it makes sense I suppose.
Typical Bose... No highs, no lows...

As usual for a somewhat narrow frequency response, it won't sound too bad as long as the balance of both no highs and no lows is correct. Take out only one or the other and you will soon notice how horrible it sounds. Without both, your ear/brain combination thinks it sounds correct because it sounds balanced... unless you listen critically.
Audiokarma
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Over the years Bose has had and continues to have some of the best marketing people in the business. How else could you see a talbe radio with a CD player in it for $699, or a CD Boombox for $2,000. And people who have Bose sound systems get VERY defensive of them of you make a comment about the sound....

Dr. Bose want to MIT and in his early years work with Tom Stockhausen to develop the first digital audio recorder manufactured and soled in this country the SoundStream system. Which was innovative and recorded at 16 bit recording depth with a 50 kHz ample rate.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

A few years back, one of those belonging to a ladyfriend went dead from a power surge during a lightning storm.
Power xfmr primary was open. So there was no remote function either, zip, nada. No fuse either.
So i opened the xfmr up, hoping to maybe see where the open happened. Lo and behold, inside was a tiny thermal device that had functioned as a one-shot fuse. I cut the device out and bridged the connection, buttoned everything up, and the radio was restored to normal, remote and all.

Got the lady a surge protector strip for the radio, and it still works fine.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Analogue is Awesome

My dad used to have a black one with a CD player in it.... It was EXCELLENT on both AM/FM -- Then he got rid of it FOR NO BLASTED REASON and got a newer one thats a piece of crap in my opinion!!!!! (They offered him a so called "UPGRADE")

I would have told them where to stick that piece of crap!!