Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd take a peltier "fridge" in a hotel room over a noisy compressor which stops me from sleeping.

Besides, if you really want your beer cold fast in a hotel, just raid the ice machine, fill up the bathroom sink with ice, and then top it up with cold water. Throw the beer in there, and it will be ice cold within 20 minutes. That's one of my travel "hacks" from 20 years of business trips, works every time. On the other hand, if you acquire a taste for warm beer, then more for you!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I'd take a peltier "fridge" in a hotel room over a noisy compressor which stops me from sleeping.

Besides, if you really want your beer cold fast in a hotel, just raid the ice machine, fill up the bathroom sink with ice, and then top it up with cold water. Throw the beer in there, and it will be ice cold within 20 minutes. That's one of my travel "hacks" from 20 years of business trips, works every time. On the other hand, if you acquire a taste for warm beer, then more for you!
Warm beer hits you a lot faster!
The Peltier fridge has a cooling fan or two on the back, depending on the size.
The small compressor in the mini-fridges are very quiet.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Warm beer hits you a lot faster!
The Peltier fridge has a cooling fan or two on the back, depending on the size.
The small compressor in the mini-fridges are very quiet.
Cooling fan is a continuous noise, almost like white noise after a while.

Compressor comes on, then goes off, then comes on, then goes off - that's what wakes me up. I can tell you 100% they aren't all very quiet, I've unplugged them in many hotel rooms at 2am, because I couldn't sleep.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:49 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Cooling fan is a continuous noise, almost like white noise after a while.

Compressor comes on, then goes off, then comes on, then goes off - that's what wakes me up. I can tell you 100% they aren't all very quiet, I've unplugged them in many hotel rooms at 2am, because I couldn't sleep.
+1. A long running habit in my family has been to take a fan (usually one in an room air filter or humidifier) and run it all night to drown out the hotel air-conditioning unit (some are ungodly loud), idiots making noise in Hall/adjoining rooms, and stuff outside the building... constant/white noise and near total silence I sleep great through, but anything intermittent wakes me right up... unless I'm in a really deep part of my sleep cycle (then lightning could strike 10 ft away and I wouldn't notice).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
If you like silent fridges, Keep you eye open for anything made by "mini-bar AG."
I found one at a junk store for $20, They use the ancient system of "Adsorption" refrigeration. It is a closed system of ammonia, water and hydrogen. that cools without a motor. It is the same type as the old Servel gas fridges except instead of using heat from burning gas it uses a electrical heating element. It's maximum power consumption is 60w. It cools better than a Peltier yet it is even quieter.
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
If you like silent fridges, Keep you eye open for anything made by "mini-bar AG."
I found one at a junk store for $20, They use the ancient system of "Adsorption" refrigeration. It is a closed system of ammonia, water and hydrogen. that cools without a motor. It is the same type as the old Servel gas fridges except instead of using heat from burning gas it uses a electrical heating element. It's maximum power consumption is 60w. It cools better than a Peltier yet it is even quieter.
The mini bar fridges were the kind that was part of the German stereos.
The type of refrigeration cited here are the same type used in camper fridges that run on 120vac, 12vdc and propane.