Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Score and question

Got a couple sweet radios at the thrift shop... Here's the first. Atwater Kent Model 30, unfortunately without a speaker, but otherwise complete and in decent shape... Now just to find a speak and build a power supply...
Old 07-30-2004, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's the one I have a question about... I don't know much about the Zenith here. It looks similar to the G730 but with a plastic case. I haven't looked at the chassis thoroughly, but didn't see a model number or anything when I did look... Anybody know what it is?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Nick,

I picked up an AK 30 that looks in about as good a shape as yours just a couple of weeks ago at a flea market. Has all the tubes in it. I have not had a chance to dig into it as I have several projects before it, but it looks to be nice when done.

These sets have potmetal tuning pulleys on the three tuning condensors, all ganged with two metal belts. Often the potmetal has swollen and disintegrated, making the pulleys useless and popping the metal bands. Some of the later sets had brass pulleys which solved the problem. It's possible to buy new parts from AES, but more of a challenge to make your own somehow. I have some ideas but won't be able to do anything for awhile. To me, that's a lot of the fun: figuring out a way to come up with a solution to what looks like an impossible problem.

BTW the logo and front hardware is gold-plated on this and similar AK sets.

Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the pulleys are kind of iffy, but somebody has replaced the old belt with a couple plastic zip ties. Hafta fix that sometime, but it works for now. I saw your post about the one you found, you're gonna hate me cause I paid $3 for mine.

Anybody know anything about the Zenith?
Edit: It's apparently a model C724, mid 50's. The knobs are supposed to be gold, according to a pic I found, so there's another minor project...

Last edited by Nick_the_'Nole; 07-31-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Three dollars: such a deal! And it looks really nice in the picture.

Reece

Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2004, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is pretty nice. The only things wrong with it: It's missing the little brass bushings and screws that hold the center coil on, it's missing one screw from the faceplate, and of course there's the ziptie belts on it. All minor issues, really. I actually found it when the woman in the thrift store took me in the back room to show me a pile of other electronic equipment (I'm well known around there), the radio was barely sticking out of a box and the woman didn't know what it was... Carefully describing it as "an old AM radio, prolly doesn't work" got me the good price.

I just nabbed an RCA 100a speaker on Epray to go with it, $3.81 + ship. This seems to be my week for deals...
Old 07-31-2004, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unfortunately, when I turn the tuning dial on mine, only the middle cap tunes. I felt back inside where the pulleys are, and they are all distorted and crumbling, and the bands popped. The bands can be soldered back together. I am going to make pulleys using various hardware store parts, when the time comes.

Reece

Old 07-31-2004, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been looking for an excuse to play with the old metal lathe in the shed, and the pulleys might be it. But power tools don't get along with me very well, so it might be a very bad idea... If I ever do get it done, I'll be sure to post pics.