Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Anybody know Mitsubishi? Looking for a specific 80s TV...

I got this 80s Mitsubishi TV when I was in my teens, and I have never seen one since. It was a good TV, I had it for 20 years or so. It started taking forever to "warm up" before the picture would quit being distorted. At the time, I had a good job, and I didn't bother trying to fix it (if I knew then what I know now, it was probably just a couple bad caps...). Anyhow, I regret that I gave it to another relative who had an MGA tv that needed parts. That person dumped both TVs when they moved, never having fixed either, but I digress...

It was maybe a 1986-ish model, probably a 19-20" blue mask CRT, grey front bezel, woodgrain plastic sides and top, front-facing stereo speakers on each side of the CRT. That TV had a great picture, and very good sound to it. Not much bass, but very loud and clear sounding. It also had a long door along the bottom that flipped down to reveal the controls.

I remember seeing "my tv" in a Showtime commercial, back when I still had the TV, and I was like "Hey, my TV is on TV!" LOL. That commercial is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1sISEXd57w

Basically, I am wondering if anybody might know the model number. I've just been feeling a little nostalgic lately, and I'd like to find that TV if it could be had cheap enough.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Never seen one yet. i can't help you a lot
Old 10-30-2015, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just in case anybody cares, I finally figured out what the model is- CS-2013R. I spotted one on Detroit Craigslist, but they want $75! Ouch! Maybe if it was $25 and about 3 hours closer, I'd get it

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/5257725248.html
Old 10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

VERY FEW 1990's, 1980's, or 70's mIts sets interest me. They are nearly ALWAYS hot , and have all of those nasty caps on them...Only a FEW of their larger sets were cold but they STILL had all of those nast caps !!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Call me ignorant, but what do you mean by "hot"? Stolen? LOL
Audiokarma
Old 10-30-2015, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

No...the "hot" I am refering to means hot CHASSIS--no power transformer or SMPS to ISOLATE the chassis ground. Mits were FAMOUS--WAY back--for using hot chassis, when others had transformers in them--then others often went to SMPS supply....but NOT Mits.

Mits often had a SMALL power tranny beside of the chassis, to isolate the SIGNAL areas of the set and allow AV/I/O--but the main ckty was STILL hot--with a series regulator IC

Last edited by rca2000; 10-30-2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: add.Info.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Huh, shows how much I know. I thought all that "hot chassis" stuff went out when they stopped making big metal boxes inside TVs, heh.

Although I am a fan of CRT TVs, I don't work on them very often. I served my time mostly working on stereo equipment and computers, and most recently, flat panel TVs.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I do not think I have EVER seen a hot flat-panel set. ALL of them use an SMPS supply--or more recently-- a "brick" type supply externally--which usually has an SMPS Inside of it..
Old 10-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I have a Mitsubishi-made set from 1987. Mono set with a random-access keypad. No problems with it yet.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Banned

There's a late 1980s vintage Mitsubishi/MGA 13" Color TV at the local Salvation Army Thrift near me for sale but no one has ever bothered to buy it, its a mono set and its missing its original remote and the front panel access door is missing on it but other than that its still in good shape, I think they were wanting like $5 for the set...
Audiokarma
Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a slightly older Mitsubishi. It was made in 1984, and it was the weirdest TV I had seen up to that point.

Like yours, the CRT phosphor was blue. Initially I thought it was some sort of specialized monochrome monitor, but nope! It was a color TV!

The back looked like something from the 1940's And IIRC it had composite video.

Now that I think about it, I had a 13" TV from 1984 that had S-video. (technically) It had separate RCA inputs for luma and chroma and accepted an S-video signal with no problem.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
I had a slightly older Mitsubishi. It was made in 1984, and it was the weirdest TV I had seen up to that point.

Like yours, the CRT phosphor was blue. Initially I thought it was some sort of specialized monochrome monitor, but nope! It was a color TV!

The back looked like something from the 1940's And IIRC it had composite video.

Now that I think about it, I had a 13" TV from 1984 that had S-video. (technically) It had separate RCA inputs for luma and chroma and accepted an S-video signal with no problem.
I think they were giving Sony a run for their money! IIRC, that blue screen set was very pricey.
It worked OK, but nothing special.
I have a Mits, that was a dollar set from the GW, that was either made by Orion or Daewoo. I think, they getting out of the small screen business, by then.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Of all my sets, the Electrohome-labeled Mitsu did the best job with my crappy analog cable signal, whose last channel was shut down a couple of days ago, boo.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

My biggest experience with Mits TV's are the ones from the '90's and I finally stopped taking them in because of the number of leaking capacitors that often ate the foil off the PC board. One thing I'll say for them is I don't recall ever seeing a bad CRT in one.