Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

color drive issue

hi all, this maggie i have with the ctc16 clone has a drive issue for the red gun and yet the tubes are fine and subbed and still cannot get the red setup with the other colors in setup. i had got this unit that looks like a crt brightener but its not but it seems to be nothing more then a color amplifier and i have that plugged in and the red is fine infact stronger the the green and blue. but it infact has a problem so would this be a specific resistor around the tubes that drive the colors or would i be looking somewhere else. any help would really be great and hopefully i wont have to yank this chassis out because the am-fm radio chassis has to come out with it and its a horror to do so. i will be selling this maggie roundie but dont want to sell it with the color amp attached to the crt which tends to signal a bad crt and its not.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure I understand the issue? Did you actually test the CRT with a tester?
Is Red just absent from the picture and when you are setting the gray scale?

I've never heard of a Color amplifer, anything plugged into the CRT socket is usually a Brightener or an Isolation transformer to fix a Heater to Cathode short.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

The plate resistors tend to go bad on the -Y tubes for each color. This is assuming there is a possibility of a good greyscale picture after adjustments. These resistors can cook down or up in value, they run quite hot. Pull the chassis and do yourself a favor if that is the problem.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

That "color amplifier" is likely a brightner. It is raising the heater voltage and the red is then stronger than the other colors because the setup is done for a weak CRT. I would bet that if you test the CRT it will be weak especially on the red gun. Try to do a gray scale setup and see what happens. You may be able to compensate for the weak red gun some and still get a usable picture.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

nope not a brightener and besides it dont raise the heater voltage at all.
Audiokarma