Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

That chassis looks exactly like that on a Catalina 25V" set I have; also have seen that on several other "private label" sets.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

267 Sq In is a dead giveaway that it is a 21" roundie. Reminds me of ads from the late '60's to early '70's in the Seattle area, for a place called TVS Marts (TV Stereo). They liked to offer Curtis Mathes "combos" for $399. They were 15 inch rectangular solid state color sets with a stereo in a cheap particle board cabinet with gen-u-wine virgin vinyl coverings. Still, the pics were fairly good on thos sets, and that was a good price for all those features regardless of overall build quality. K-Mart was selling Capehart branded console stereos at that same time for about $169, and no TV. Ironically, the Everett, WA TVS is now a pawn shop. :>)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was a Curtis-Mathes store (looked like it could have been corporate-owned, or a good franchise) in downtown Cambridge, MD. It, too, ended up as a cheesey pawn shop. Still, might have been an improvement.

It was in the late 80s or early 90s that C-M ran a promotion where they were looking for the "oldest Curtis-Mathes TV set". The idea was to get you to bring your old set in on trade for a new model. The advertising showed something from the 10BP4 era. Well, I was an excited teenage collector so I gave the Cambridge store a call, and asked just what they were going to do with all those trades. Maybe I could get my hands on one of those early models? Well, not quite! I think they just told me that anything older would get junked and that they had arrangements to get rid of it, so thanks but no thanks. I never liked C-M after that!