Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice

Did you tell the owner 1) It didnt work and 2) You got it working??
Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those HD CRT TVs were short lived.. My friend had one.. Those things weight a ton and are very hard to move.. Takes two or three people to move and the plastic on those things dig into your hand lifting them up for more than a minute.. They seem to be more trouble then what they are worth..
Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Very nice

Did you tell the owner 1) It didnt work and 2) You got it working??
Funny you should ask. I saw him yesterday at the grocery store. He saw me, but I didn't see him again. Maybe he thinks I'm mad at him?

I know these CRT wide screens were not around very long, but the price was right, and I learned a thing or two about the newer sets. I'm going to get a service manual for this Sony as soon as I can. I've got manuals for every Sony I've owned, and several manuals for different Sony models that dogged me before I got them fixed from years ago.

My family was surprised when I got this set. They all figured that I'd never work on a TV set again after I shut down the business in 1998-99.

A 175 pound TV set. I would have never thought I'd have one.

When this set was new, I remember admiring one in a Circuit City electronics store. A few sets away from this one, I also vividly remember a set dying on the display floor, complete with squealing flyback and smoke. At the time, I was so glad I didn't have to wrestle this monster around on a service bench.

I did all the repairs on my new (to me) set in the kitchen floor beside the back door, so if it had turned out that the CRT was bad, or something else expensive, I wouldn't have far to kick the thing out the back door... with help.

Thanks, guys, for the comments.