Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM
Vintage Junkie

Thumbs up 1970's 15" RCA XL-100 Solid State Color TV Model OLY 376 Y Kijiji Find.

Well, this was an interesting find. This week as i usually tend to do everyday searching the local Kijiji classifieds. I happened upon this little 15" RCA XL-100 Solid State Color TV from somewhere around the early 70's? Finding these or any TV's from the 60's/70's around here are pretty rare. Apparently from what the guy said. It was used and bought by his Great Grand mother for the 1967 Pan American Games since it was the first color broadcast of the Pan American Games which aired on CBC. Canada first received color broadcasting in 1966. But as any knowledgeable person would know RCA did not introduce the XL-100 till 1971. The interesting thing is next to the RCA emblem is a 1976 Olympic Games Emblem. Which makes me believe that it was actually bought in '75 or '76 rather then what he claimed. I did power it on before I bought it and it fired right up with the Instant On although it was showing the Green,Blue and Red bars in the center of the screen. I ended up taking a gamble and got it for $30 Bucks. The model is OLY 376Y and on the inside the Chassis it reads "RVB 274" 6 CTC72 D1" maybe that will help with identifying the year.

After getting it home and trying it out. I found it does have some minor issues that I hope to resolve. The first was the picture, it was slanted which with a slight turn of the YOKE seemed to fix the issue, although I'm afraid if I move the TV around too much it will cause the picture to tilt again. I noticed it seems lose around the neck where the Yoke sits against the back of the tube. There doesn't seem to be anyway to adjust it? I know they were bonded, perhaps the glue has dried up is my guess. Another problem seems when I turn the dial back and forth it causes the picture to become scrambled which I then have to adjust the horizontal hold to get it back. Other then that, the channel indicator doesn't light up for VHF which I hope someone can help me fix and on the left side of the screen the colors seems to be faded, if i put a magnet up to it it will return the faded colors.

Here's a link to a video I made demonstrating the TV and problems I'm having.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzxk7LJyCw
Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

1974 I think. Could be a late 1973--Either way--it has the "bonded tube" RCA introduced at the time. Hot chassis--uses that large tranny on middle right side in a "sort of 'SMPS" , driven by one of the SCR"S--to power most of the low-level ckts and fils. Most modules are the MA version but the vertical module is UNIQUE . WATCH OUT for bad connections on this module connector .

I have ONE of these--need to find out what it needs to get it to go.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Since it has Olympic games logo, I'd think it's a 1976 model!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:51 AM
sampson159

saw several of these back in the day.vertical module connections and transistors were about the only real frequent problems.very,very well built and good performers with a really fine crt.good score!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageLove View Post
Well, this was an interesting find. This week as i usually tend to do everyday searching the local Kijiji classifieds. I happened upon this little 15" RCA XL-100 Solid State Color TV from somewhere around the early 70's? Finding these or any TV's from the 60's/70's around here are pretty rare. Apparently from what the guy said. It was used and bought by his Great Grand mother for the 1967 Pan American Games since it was the first color broadcast of the Pan American Games which aired on CBC. Canada first received color broadcasting in 1966. But as any knowledgeable person would know RCA did not introduce the XL-100 till 1971. The interesting thing is next to the RCA emblem is a 1976 Olympic Games Emblem. Which makes me believe that it was actually bought in '75 or '76 rather then what he claimed. I did power it on before I bought it and it fired right up with the Instant On although it was showing the Green,Blue and Red bars in the center of the screen. I ended up taking a gamble and got it for $30 Bucks. The model is OLY 376Y and on the inside the Chassis it reads "RVB 274" 6 CTC72 D1" maybe that will help with identifying the year.

After getting it home and trying it out. I found it does have some minor issues that I hope to resolve. The first was the picture, it was slanted which with a slight turn of the YOKE seemed to fix the issue, although I'm afraid if I move the TV around too much it will cause the picture to tilt again. I noticed it seems lose around the neck where the Yoke sits against the back of the tube. There doesn't seem to be anyway to adjust it? I know they were bonded, perhaps the glue has dried up is my guess. Another problem seems when I turn the dial back and forth it causes the picture to become scrambled which I then have to adjust the horizontal hold to get it back. Other then that, the channel indicator doesn't light up for VHF which I hope someone can help me fix and on the left side of the screen the colors seems to be faded, if i put a magnet up to it it will return the faded colors.

Here's a link to a video I made demonstrating the TV and problems I'm having.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzxk7LJyCw
The yoke is cemented in place. The problem you are having is that the purity is being affected, by the yoke not being perfectly in place.
You have to remove the chassis, so you can get at the front of the yoke.
The last time, I found that problem, with the set on it's face, I moved the yoke around and found the exact place where the yoke was glued. Three or four gobs of electrical grade silicone sealant should hold it.
Convergence and purity should be pretty close.
Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

The way we reglued the yokes was clean up the bell
so the glue will take, get the picture perfect & wedge the
yoke. After triple checking for perfection mark tube &
yoke with marker & check again. If OK pull chassis put
on face & reglue. We used 2 part epoxy. You can get
at the dial light now.
The hoz hold may be just a dirty control or maybe an
electrolytic on the hoz osc board.
The vert board was the only other problem. The socket
would crack & vert go intermitant. If they kept running
it the socket & board would cook up.
For date check for date codes on CRT etc. It is 74' ish.

73 Zeno
Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had one 4 years ago and given to a friend....yes it's a very very good set, solid and the olympic logo on the tv mean that this set has been made in 1976 during the olympic games at Montreal...Phil is right for this information.