Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Grabbed this a bit ago...

After missing out on that E0-1 Sylvania combo..I found a "consolation prize" a BLOCK from my bank on Galbraith road. A 1987 model NAP set.

Now--a few weeks or so ago--we were all talking about the mid-1980's NAP sets, the "C" chassis models. Specifically--the ones I am aware of...C1, C2, C3, C5 C6 C7 C8 and C9. The first 4 chassis are HOT and have a fly that did NOT hold up all that well. I will NOT pick up ANY of them. Not sure if I remember a "C4" chassis or not. The "C3' was a 19 inch set--also hot--that succeeded the E32 chassis, IIRC. They are shit too...IMHO.

The C6 was the first "cold" one, but I THINK it still had that "shitty" flyback--and had a VERY bad drawback as far as the power supply goes. The feedback ckt for the SMPS, also had it's B+ line fed to the audio amps. If one of them shorted--it would also kill the B+ to the feedback opto-and THEN--the SMPS would sun away--and go into overvloltage shutdown!! The chassis DID look impressive, with fairly large sinks on dual audio amp chips--BUT they were NOT very powerful, and the flys were not real reliable--as in the C5 sets.

Then there was the C7. It was a 13 and 19 incher, and LOOKED to be a cold chassis--but is NOT. it has an SMPS_-but still a hot chassis. But as reliability goes--not too bad. I worked on a lot of them 20 or more years back.

The "C8" chassis was different. It had a different, more reliable flyback (although I DO recall a couple actually "exploding" in FRONT of me, maybe 20 or so years ago--then splitting in half..) and a simpler layout. It DOES have a rather different cold SMPS supply. It uses one transformer--BUT it is run in 2 modes--the normal "run" mode AND a low-tide "standby" mode--wherein it produces a MUCH lower output, IIRC. There are a pair of transistors that drive a darlington SMPS out transistor, and if they get even a BIT leaky or such...it WILL INSTANTLY blow that little SMPS out transistor !! I worked on a LOT of--and fixed a lot of these sets--in the early 1990's. I have not seen one in a while though. I somewhat like them. They are not in the same class as out "favorites" like the Chromacolor sets--but for a relatively modern set (1987 model)...not exactly "junk" either.

The C9 was the final C series chassis, IIRC, and it looked just like the C8-BUT had FULL digital controls for all functions, and nearly NO analog type controls, IIRC. After this came the G1, which also had full digital controls and a much simplified layout--with NO daughter modules IIRC. Then the H series and the P series--all pretty much like the G chassis, but with an SMPS for standby, instead of a line tranny as in the G1--and different vertical ckt. ANY of those sets, G, P and H and the sucessors, R and Z chassis, I worked on many of these, they are pretty easy to fix, and had fairly good tubes in them.

So anyway...I am heading to the bank....and spot a console tv on the curb. I expected it to be an RCA CTC-130 or 149 or such--they seem to STILL be very prevelant---and I am NOT much interested in them. But as I drove by it--I noticed it said "Magnavox" on it. I thougth it might be a C5 or C1 set--NEITHER of which I wanted. I pulled into the center lane--and jumped out of the car for a quick "look see". I was unable to find a chassis #--but it was mag. in Dec. 1986, and had AV in/out. So, I figured it was either a C5 or C6. After a bit of hesitation--I decided to go and get the van--and grab it. Had it been a C-1 o0r C5 or such-_I would simply sit is BACK out in the garbage, likely whole, this coming week.

I made it back in the van, about 30 mins. later, and tossed it in the van. I then took it to the mall, where my sister was, and took a quick look at the innards. I expected a C-6...but was greeted by a C-8 chassis. Cold chassis, nice layout.

SO--this will likely be a "keeper". As modern sets go--not too bad. NO metal in the chassis, other than sinks. Certainly not like an "old classic"...but typically for a late 1980's set. The tubes were not too bad in these, IIRC, and the cabinet is not bad--a bit of bubbling on top(probably was rained on), but not bad, and looks clean inside. I will put it in the garage, and the 21FJP22 sitting on the floor(sitting on a piece of foam), will likely go on top of this set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0627141622.jpg (122.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 0627141622a.jpg (88.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 0627141625.jpg (87.1 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by rca2000; 06-30-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice catch!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Nice! The front of it makes it look like the Maggie I decided not to buy recently, but this one has a much nicer looking, not to mention cleaner cabinet.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool set .
Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey what you got against the C-1 A.K.A. two board Maggie ?
I loved them & think they are the best from Magnavox.
I agree on the C-3, biggets crap can I can think of.
A great example of engineers run amok & causing havoc to
any tech that tried to understand them. Now your C-8 was
a nice set & it will serve you well.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 06-30-2014, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just never liked them...or ANY of the early C series sets. Besides the fact that they are hot chassis, the flybacks did NOT hold up too well in any of the C1-C6 sets. The C6 was cold--but had the same style fly as the older C series, IIRC.

A LOT of the problems I saw on the C-1 and C2 sets...besides Star module problems--was a dead set. They had a start-up transformer that ONLY produced a quick pulse, IIRC and a diode off of it often shorted---causing no start. Along with a good deal of flyback problems....but not NEAR as bad as the C-5 or E32,/34 and E51/53 sets--that went through flybacks like a ZR-1corvette goes through gas !!

I DO agree they did produce a nice pix--when working though. Along with somewhat easy to work on--compared to the C-3 and C-5ets.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I saw several of the 19C4 chassis... The ones I saw were among the first stereo sets. The chassis looked like the C1's with the split chassis.