Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Old Tatung tv remote

Someone gave me this a few weeks ago and I'm curious as to what the tv that went to this would look like. Anyone have pics of one? Were these sets any good?

RM-2101
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is identical to the remote control which came with my 1982 Samsung color TV. Right down to the little red LED which lights when a button is pushed.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's odd that something like this will come up with a Tatung label on it.. Me collecting old fans, there are alot of ceiling fans from the 1980s that were through the Tatung label.. Mainly Tatung manufactured imported kitchen appliances, fans, and ceiling fans, similar to Toastmaster.. Every blue moon I'll run into an old TV or VCR with a Tatung label...
Old 11-19-2014, 12:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cosmetically, I recall some of the Tatung TV's from the early '80's looking very similar to a Sony Trinitron. Of course, the insides were nothing like a Sony.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember working on a few IBM 8513/8514 color VGA monitors way back. They were made by Tatung and of pretty cheesy build quality. One of them took me lots of hours to finally fix; never had such a large pile of defective caps, resistors & transistors coming out of device like that before. Below is service doc that mentions all of the problems (then):

http://www.epanorama.net/sff/Compute...pair_Notes.pdf

Tom (PK)
Audiokarma
Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Tatung did indeed make many sets in the late 70s to the late 80s. We had several Tatungs aboard my first carrier, the Forrestal. They were modified by the contractor (isolation transformers, disabled UHF tuners, and three wire cords). The sets were metal cabinets with a plastic escutcheon and plastic back. Non-remote. Good sets, as ours was on 24/7 for probably 4-5 years straight. We had a slight pull-up of the vertical on the set the last time I saw it, so probably some died up caps by that time.

The build reminded me of the 70s/80s Sanyo metal cabinet sets (91CXx sets).

Cheers
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is my first time coming across anything with that name but i've heard of it before.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Saw a few back in the olden days. One was a copy of the 10"
panasonics with all knobs along the bottom. They ran
pretty good. There were a group of mostly Korean &
free China sets back then like TMK ( Toyomenka) (sp?), Sampo,
Portland, NTC, AOC, etc. Mostly clones but surpringly well built &
decent low priced sets. Probably better than the other new kids
on the block like Samsung, GS & Funai . There first sets were crap,
all Funai were crap. IMHO............

Who can name some more 70's-80's indies with distinct chassii ?

73 Zeno
Old 11-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Who can name some more 70's-80's indies with distinct chassii ?

73 Zeno
Candle maybe? I got a 14" Candle set from 1987 last week. It's Daewoo-made with a C-101A chassis. It has remote varactor tuning; I didn't get the remote though. It was a freebie but still I was surprised to hear that a lot of people wanted it. I jumped on the ad less than an hour after it was posted.

Last edited by Jon A.; 11-19-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Candle maybe? I got a 14" Candle set from 1987 last week. It's Daewoo-made with a C-101A chassis. It has remote varactor tuning; I didn't get the remote though. It was a freebie but still I was surprised to hear that a lot of people wanted it. I jumped on the ad less than an hour after it was posted.
Candle in Canada, Daytron in the US, I think. I accidentally destroyed a piece of aluminum trim on a customers 80's Daytron (cheapie) AM-FM-Phono stereo, and ordered a manual to get the part number. Surprisingly, the manual came with a Candle-logoed stereo pictured on the front, but the manual was for a Daytron. The stereo was one of those with a dual-speed changer, vinyl-wrapped particle board ones where the chassis was two pieces - power supply and faceplate, with all tuner and amp boards attached. I flipped the tuner section over, and the faceplate got across the AC terminals in the power supply, arcing a nice crater in it. Even more surprisingly, a replacement was just a phone call away, and cheap. The units were sold as loss leaders at Circuit City, about 69 bucks new.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Ah Daewoo, how could I forget them. C-101 was the most seen one.
Also remember the Daytron. Funny thing abt Daewoo. The sets
labeled Daewoo were crap-cans but relabels were OK. They looked
the same, go figure.

Similar experience to Find em's. Had a small TMK needed a manual.
called & got it fast COD!. Fixed the set but broke the dial cord.
Called & got a dial cord assembly in < a week & cheap.. Service was as good as any US set & better than most Japs. Changed my attitude about
odd ball sets............. Most anyhows.

Lastly how could I forget KTV ? The contractor for the Pennsylvania
"big houses" sold lots of them & I fixed a ton. A story there I will relate
another time.

73 Zeno
Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recall having two Portland brand TVs from the very early 80s. Both had Orion picture tubes and made very good pictures. One had a built-in clock and LED readout for the electronic tuner, and the other was a pushbutton tuner. The chassis weren't Daewoo, they were made by 'Tahain electric wire co' of So. Korea. Not bad for cheap sets at all.
Also, the early 80s Emersons with the goldstar built chassis. The ones with'GS' stamped into the circuitboards. I'm sure some people have bad experience with those, but both my '83 13" and '85 19" ones were great performers which never needed repair. All of these sets came from the original owners, as I saved them from the trash. I dumped all of these sadly, to make room for older and more American sets.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Haha, I love the stories about AC damage to objects. Last one I heard was zeno's story of a shorted clothes dryer cutting half way through a screwdriver. It's amazing what a few amps can do.

I didn't know that the Candle brand was intended for the Canadian market. I have finding sets made for or in Canada left and right lately. The picture is bowed in slightly at the top and bottom when I'm watching something in widescreen; I don't know if it's an inherent flaw for such a cheap set or if it needs a pincushion adjustment. It has perfect grayscale and the picture is bright and sharp. Maybe if I search "Daytron" I'll find a remote and service info.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen Tatung before rebranding computers. The most oddball of the bunch was a SPARCstation 20.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a 1982 Sampo several years back. Ran very well.
Audiokarma