Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Lambda Acoustics!!!

Which one is more recommended?

Zenith Transeocanic Clipper Short Wave

OR

Telefunken Tube Radio 5384W Short Wave

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx
Old 08-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Interesting question ! All things being equal, the Clipper would be the better INVESTMENT-but if you're like me-who cares, you ain't gonna ever sell it anyway. T/Os of all sorts have a very healthy collector demand. The Grundig might be a better RADIO-I'd say it has FM & they were famed for their sound. If they're both available for a reasonable amount of money-get 'em both. Both will prolly need a re-capping, but that's about standard operating procedure anyway. They both look to be in decent cosmetic shape-that's a concern, too. I know what I'd do- go for both of 'em, but that's me. -Sandy G.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:46 PM
sid claire

I would give my front teeth for either, tho I come down on the Zenith as my preferred. These models are quite sought after around here. At a recent local show, a working, slightly damaged Transoceanic sold for over 100 bucks. If you have the choice of both, take 'em; they are both jewels. Recently I worked on a similar model of the German radio which was apparently made for the U.S. market with RCA (all in English) markings. As a general comment, I do not like German construction as it seems rather fragile in comparison to U.S. Any comments on that statement?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Being of German ancestry, I have to comment on that! Yes, Some radios were a little flimsy but the high end stuff was pretty good in my opinion (Although sometimes over engineered and hard to service) My Saba radio tv phono combo is solid as all heck and easily serviced. The tv chassis slides out on rails! It still functions great.
I have some WWII era radios similar to the ones my Great Uncle worked with during that time and they are pretty well built with sturdy cabinets.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:45 AM
I love old stuff

I recomend the Telefunken (if it haves SW 1-3 or SW 1-4).
Audiokarma