Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Mystery TV

I' m looking for what model TV I was dumb enough not to take when I could have. It was a RCA color set but it was in a cabinet that looked like the 1948 RCA 8T- 241 but bigger. I found it in a basement in Brooklyn about 30 years ago and I turned it on an just got the colored dots in the middle. I was only collecting B/W sets so I left it there. I know it was color as I joked to the guy watching me look it over that we both probably just got radiated. Wasn't a home made unit. Was RCA. Anybody know of this?

Al
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

I can't think of any color tv that looks like that one...

Old 04-03-2011, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think we will never know for sure but my bet is some very bored tech put a newer color chassis in the cabinet you describe as some sort of techy joke to "psych" people out. Respecting that your memory of the cabinet is likely correct and you likely did not look hard at the chassis or u woulda mentioned that.
I think the early color sets are well known here and there never was a color set put into such a cabinet from the factory. Chassis was too big for starters.
Or maybe it was a studio monitor but it woulda been alot bigger for sure, so , I think my first guess is right knowuing techs as I do.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Color RCA?

I remember it distinctly that it was a bigger version of the 8T-241. I thought it was that at first until I got close to it. I have two of them so I knew what it looked like. It didn't look like any home made set but I guess it's possible but they would have to copy the cabinet bigger also.

RCA did test color transmissions for the FCC in 1948. What set did they use?

I saw a number of strange sets in my travels back then here in NYC but they looked home made or lab models. This was very much a production model even if made in small amounts.

I'll never know I guess.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check out the early prototypes on the ETF site:
http://www.earlytelevision.org/color_prototypes.html
jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 04-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Edit.

JB, the man asked a serious question, let people who know something about this answer him.

I sincerely apologize and I will put fourth my best effort to be appropriate to all. Thank you, John

Last edited by JB5pro; 04-04-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Too much rambling.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I should have made it clear that it looked like a production set and not home made. I see why you should find my interest in this not funny because I wasn't making a joke. I ask it here because this has been in the back of my mind all these years and I am interested to know if this set does exist anywhere. I figure that the guys on here would know one way or another. I wasn't expecting a reply like yours out of left field. As to me making it myself, that makes no sense or were you making a joke that I don't find funny.

The set was in the basement on top of a cabinet that was not part of it. I asked the owner if I could plug it in. After getting the go ahead , I did and just got the color dots. The back of the set had the grill on it. I did not look inside that I can remember. I left it there and regretted it later. I should have emailed you but in circa 1979 I wouldn't expect an answer. ( that was a joke) There weren't books about collecting TV's yet and I was out hunting on my own. Another set that I had no idea what it was and left behind in a house that went into the dumpster I found out later to be a Dumont R 102 Clifton. I did rescue a 1930's Scott radio from that house for I was more of a radio collector.

So there you are.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

That Emerson prototype, pictured on the ETF site ( see my link above ) looks a bit like like an enlarged RCA 8T-241, and according to the ad, it was displayed in New York...Perhaps what you saw was not an RCA ?

jr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emerson_prototype.jpg (6.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Administrator

earlyjukeman please continue, most of us would be very interested in finding out more about this set.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who knows what out there, Back in the 60's I would check out the used TV shops around town. In one Burbank store, in a back corner, there were two 15" color sets. One was an RCA CT-100. Next to it was an Emerson 15" color TV in a full door console cabinet w/Chinese carving decoration on the doors. It was in very poor condition and one of the doors was hanging from one hinge. I bought the CT-100 and hauled it home in a rented trailer. It was in mint condition and worked well. I will never forget seeing that Emerson name on the front of the set and I know for sure it was a color set. I have never seen or heard of one like it from that day to now.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I still highly regret not understanding the value of the FOUR brand new (three still in their unopened crates) GE 4TM-15 color studio monitors in the electronics surplus store where I worked, in late 1979. I had already started collecting TVs and had brought home an RCA 630TS that was in the back of the store, but I figured "color TV is too new, that was from the fifties".

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I guess we all had our moments when we didn't have the foresight to pick up something of rarity and later kick ourselves for it.

Anyways whatever this TV set was, there's always hope it may still be out there somewhere or another one like it may exist. Would be interesting to find out whether this TV set is indeed the Emerson prototype shown in the poor quality photo.

Out of curiosity, do you remember where the place was in Brooklyn where you saw that TV? If you do, it might be worth a shot for you or somebody in this forum who lives near the area to go see if that place is still there and ask the current owners if they have old TVs in the basement and explain about the TV set. Long shot but worth a try.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Guess I should toss my CTC-4, since it's the later A version then. lol
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Audiokarma