Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Microscopic Monitor

I found a VCR Camera today with one of those itty bitty 30mm CRT's inside.

This camera is a smallish hand sized unit that was designed to hook up to a VCR via an umbilical cord, I only found the camera part, not the cables or VCR but I could tell it had a CRT monitor inside.

There was a simple connector from the Camera section to the Monitor, it had the 12V, Ground and Video pins marked on the board making it easy to hook up. 12 volts DC and the Composite Video output from a VCR is all it takes.

The two blue controls next to the CRT are the Contrast and Brightness, the one pointing downward is for Vertical Height, there's one more at the back for Focus so basically this is a complete Monitor in a tiny package, there is no Sound of course, it would need separate amplifier for that.

I would love to build a miniature Vintage style TV out of this thing, a 1/10th scale replica of a 10" set might be cool, the CRT is pretty deep but I think it would be close to scale for a 10BP4 or similar, or perhaps a 1" replica of the Motorola VT-71!

Here are some pictures of it with Eddie Haskell on screen, the last picture is of the Camera it came from. If anyone has a use for the remains of the camera I'd be happy to send it out.

Note how the Tape Measure dwarfs the tiny little tube!
The label inside says it's a CIM 30P4, guessing the 30 is the diagonal Millimeters from edge to edge of the glass, not the viewable area.

There is also a Radiation warning!
"High Voltage is 4.0Kv with a very dim picture and must not exceed 6.0Kv at zero beam current"

Wait a second, this is something you hold next to your head and press your eye against! Just how much radiation could there be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monitor.jpg (16.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg eddie.jpg (16.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg eddie2.jpg (20.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg camera.jpg (29.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Technohippie

Those things are neat! I have one kicking around here that is actually COLOR, using a beam-index tube. 1" diagonal CRT. If I could get a second matching unit, it might make a good start on a homebrew VR helmet.

As far as radiation hazard, my understanding is that X-rays are generated by any tube (by electrons hitting the plate) But until the accelerating voltage hits 10-12kV or so, the X-rays aren't energetic enough to penetrate the glass envelope. You're pretty safe at 4-6 kV.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Eric-

I use those cameras for TV signals over ham radio, but I probably have enough of them already that I would not have a use for the spare parts you have, but thanks for offering. Those tiny monitors are cool.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Aren't those the same CRT & chassis (minus the tuner) as the Panasonic Travelvision sets (TR-1010P, et al)? They also had REALLY tiny CRTs in some of the early camera viewfinders; I'm thinking 1/3 or 1/2 inch round CRT?

Charles
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a roundie version of these small tubes.

It's missing the electronics and yoke though.
Audiokarma
Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Some of those viewfinders had screens even smaller than the Travelvision sets.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Some of those viewfinders had screens even smaller than the Travelvision sets.
Weren't those 1.5" screens?

This viewfinder is about .75" viewable.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Yup....I have one of these viewfinders all apart as well. Mine is from an old RCA VHS camcorder. The little CRT is a square one about .75" diagonal. It's MUCH smaller than the little Panasonic sets at just over an inch or so diagonal. Mine was also able to run a small video in signal, and runs on about 9vdc. Still have it around and keep thinking about just WHAT I'd do with it :-P
Old 12-21-2012, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I tried to do this with a RCA CC030 camera that has an Indextron tube viewfinder. I started to take it apart but it was going to be an unmounted mess. Cam is back together and looking for a VHS portable set to pair it with.

How about a contest here. Smallest screen. Best re-jiggered display.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Gentlemen,

Here's my "Snake TV" made from one of JVC's first color LCD viewfinders, early 90's from memory. I purchased the VF new from JVC spare parts divsion, and back then it wasn't cheap.

The box contains the power supply, video buffer, H & V sync extraction + an audio amp to feed an earphone.
Still works today.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

Last edited by jhalphen; 12-22-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Audiokarma