Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Sony 25" PVM2530 find.

I tried hard to leave this one at the store but my resistance wore thin and now it's in my van.

This is an Industrial Monitor from 1990, I don't think it even has speakers but it has some pegs on the sides to hang them. I remember wanting one of these really bad back in the day!

Hooked it to a DVD player at the store and it displayed a good image with a strong looking CRT, I hope to use it with my Laser Disc player using the S-Video input.

Not sure what the cost was back in 1990 but I got it for $25.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonypvm25-1.jpg (19.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg sonypvm25-2.jpg (27.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice score. I'm sure it's built like a tank and there's no telling what it cost when new.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think I have the 19" version of this set at my ballpark. East Coast guys come and get it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Nice find! I wanted one in the worst way also, but never seemed to get hold of one. Now you need the 500-lb 43" tube version; PVM-4300 ;-) .

Charles
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Charles, are the tubes in these as bad as the consumer 25" ones they used in the consoles?
Audiokarma
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfixer View Post
Charles, are the tubes in these as bad as the consumer 25" ones they used in the consoles?
Definitely not. The dreadful 710AB22 was the 26" console tube, and the one in the PVM was a fine-pitch, high-resolution industrial grade tube.

Charles
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
The dreadful 710AB22 was the 26" console tube
So what went wrong with the 26" jug? Bad design? Poor processing? Was this perhaps an early example of San Diego production?

jr
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know where one of this same set is locally. It's running just fine. I replaced about 15 capacitors in it about 7 years ago for its owner. It's got a fine picture, and runs about 5 hours a day.

It has the OEM speakers on it.

I have fond memories of the bad 26" tubes in the console Sony's.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
So what went wrong with the 26" jug? Bad design? Poor processing? Was this perhaps an early example of San Diego production?

jr
About 25 years ago I was told the problems were caused by gun contamination from the perfume/cosmetics worn by the women who assembled the tubes, and the problem was solved by forbidding such aromatics on workers. I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard this, or was I fed a plateful of guano
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin View Post
About 25 years ago I was told the problems were caused by gun contamination from the perfume/cosmetics worn by the women who assembled the tubes, and the problem was solved by forbidding such aromatics on workers. I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard this, or was I fed a plateful of guano
Seems unlikely since the tubes are baked at high temperatures during evacuation, unless it somehow damages the Cathode before they are assembled?
Audiokarma
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Seems unlikely since the tubes are baked at high temperatures during evacuation, unless it somehow damages the Cathode before they are assembled?
Well cosmetics are usually a big no-no in clean rooms... I can't imagine Sony allowing them in the first place. :
Quote:
COSMETICS - Many cosmetics contain sodium, magnesium, silicon, calcium, potassium or iron. These chemicals can create damaging particles. Cleanroom managers may ban or restrict cosmetics in the cleanroom. This is usually dependent upon the threat to the product being made in the cleanroom. A recent mirror on a space telescope was fogged up from the cologne that was present in the cleanroom.
From:http://www.coastwidelabs.com/Technic...0Cleanroom.htm

jr
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Administrator

What was the failure on those tubes, short lived or shorts?

I know some Sonys from the 80's had short lived tubes.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Administrator

I still have to drag this Monitor in the house and see how well it works.
Grey scale looked good though.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Eric, those monitors (may be the same one also called the XBR Pro) cost about $1800 when they were new, in the 1988-1992 range. As you saw (or will see), they have an awesome picture if the CRT is good. Get a Channel Master CM-7000 digital TV tuner, which has an S-video output, for it.

I still have a couple of those that I picked up independently years ago while I also supported hundreds of them at San Francisco and other airports (including LAX) where they were very widely used as flight-information display monitors. After years of 24-hour use, often in enclosed cabinets with four to eight monitors each, the CRTs do go bad (losing one or more of their colors). There is a power module in the power supply that is no longer available (since we already had replaced it in most of those hundreds of monitors!), but that kind of failure only happened after years of 24-hour operation.

The matching tuner from Sony was model ST-7TV or similar.

Those monitors were near the pinnacle of NTSC displays, with the one limitation of having a "cold" picture (9300 color temperature) standard with no easy way to adjust it.

One failure that may happen is that the display may have a "barrel"-shaped look (pincushion distortion). That can be fixed with a few electrolytic capacitors; if your set has that problem, let me know and I will get you the list of needed parts.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

The PVM-2530s I took care of did not have a fine pitch tube, the 2950s I fed and watered did, and SMPTE phosphors. I wondered too what the issues were with the consumer tubes and whether there was a replacement that addressed the issue.

There is 3x as much inside the 2530s compared to the 2950s.

I had to replace the input board with the "new dynamic color" IC on it quite often.
Audiokarma