Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Chassis broke? Unrepairable?
Old 09-01-2018, 12:42 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Something on the chassis shorted and I have been unable to take it in for repair.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:19 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Something on the chassis shorted and I have been unable to take it in for repair.
Then DIY! Power supply shorts are not hard to fix. I recently walked another member through it on a CTC-16.

The best way to learn is to track down any mistakes you made and fix them...The only way to not make the same mistake twice is to know what you did the first time.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-01-2018, 01:50 PM
TheUniversalDave1

You clearly have not seen my deplorable working conditions. In depth electronics repair is impossible, fix one thing, break three more things. I have no workshop and no money for parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4056.jpg (113.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:43 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
You clearly have not seen my deplorable working conditions. In depth electronics repair is impossible, fix one thing, break three more things. I have no workshop and no money for parts.
So you have a place to work in.

I fixed my first roundy with 6 sqft of floor space sitting on the floor with the chassis.... back then I had squeezed a collection that filled a good sized room in a house into a room in an apartment half the size... there was no wall space not covered by electronics, and most of the time only a goat path between the bed and door.... home is where you hang your hat, and a work bench is anyplace you can set a chassis, DMM, and soldering iron...
No parts?.....I once recapped a RCA 630 chassis with only series/parallel combinations of only .05 and .01uF caps because all I had was 2 big bags of them and no money.... when the going gets tough it is time for enginuety.

Audiokarma
Old 09-03-2018, 01:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's not that bad, I yanked the chassis out of my CTC-21 and recapped the power supply on my kitchen floor. The work bench is covered in crap and the other table is covered in dead DILA projector and a Marantz 2230 getting a power amp recap. It was also an emergency as my projector died, the Motorola was having intermittent tuner/horizontal/vertical issues and I wanted to watch some damn TV.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is a prolific YouTube TV repair guy who does most of the work on the ground in his (or someone's?) driveway. Your working conditions are vastly better!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:01 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
There is a prolific YouTube TV repair guy who does most of the work on the ground in his (or someone's?) driveway. Your working conditions are vastly better!
I've done that too (minus youtube). Over a decade ago mom was worried about solder fumes poisoning me and I was made to do that work outside in the burning Florida sun with mosquitos dogging me...If your wearing shorts never wave a soldering iron around to chase off hovering mosquitos molten lead can drip on some rather tender areas.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I was a kid I had so many burns on my hands and legs from errant solder. Luckily most of the time it cooled enough on its trip through the air that it didn't do grave damage.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
When I was a kid I had so many burns on my hands and legs from errant solder. Luckily most of the time it cooled enough on its trip through the air that it didn't do grave damage.
That happens to me all the time, one just gets used to it. The same goes for accidental cuts. If I were to drop the iron though I would get out of its way at emergency warp. I burned my hand with a soldering iron once, it hurt like crazy and left a white blotch.

One time when taking apart can caps, one flew apart suddenly and I got splattered with hot tar. That was considerably worse than getting splattered with molten solder.
Audiokarma