Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 PM
<----Zenith C845

Thoughts on antique radio collecting

Our hobby of antique radio restoration and collecting is not new by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know how many of you remember the old (now defunct) Popular Electronics magazine, which was published between roughly 1955 and 1980 or so, but in the mid-'60s they had several articles dealing with the restoration of what were then referred to simply as "classic" or "relic" radios from the '20s through the '60s. These are the antique radios we AKers collect and work on today, only in the '60s these sets were only 30 years old or less and were properly referred to as either vintage or classic (an item has to have been made at least 50 years ago to be properly referred to as an antique). Even the early Zenith T/Os (both the original tube versions from the '50s and the first transistorized sets from the latter part of that decade until 1962--the 7000 series didn't appear until the late seventies) were just little sprouts in those days, and the big consoles like the Stratospheres and other makes hadn't even come to middle age yet. So, little as we AKers may think of it, these antiques we own and work on today were simply classics and relics at one time, but even in the '60s and '70s people still got a kick out of making them "talk" again after 30-40 years; thanks to AK, we still do. I am proud to be a member of a group such as AK which is dedicated to keeping this wonderful hobby alive and well in the 21st century.

Please, whatever you do, don't get rid of your old sets if you can possibly avoid it. Little as we may think of it, many if not most of these antique radios we have so lovingly restored to operating condition are one of a kind; those which are still around are becoming increasingly more difficult to find as time goes on. As the Big Lots expression goes, "when they're gone, they are gone"--in the case of our treasured antique radios, in many cases for good. The Zenith TVs and radios of the '20s through the '60s are one perfect example of this, as the Zenith Radio Corporation is no more. My hat is off to AK's own Doug Harland and Max Morgenthaler (as well as other Zenith TV and radio collectors here). Please, guys, hold on to your old sets, as they are becoming scarce in this day and age. Who knows? Thirty years from now the small Zenith 5" combination TV/AM/FM radio from, I believe, the mid-'70s or '80s (one of which I saw on ebay the other evening and was strongly tempted to bid on) may be part of a new breed of antique, classic and vintage equipment. My best hope for AK is that it is still around 30 years from now, so that a new generation of vintage radio/TV collectors can have as good a forum to discuss their ebay scores, etc. as we, the current members of AudioKarma, have today.

Kind regards,

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:30 PM
AK Member

I am just getting more and more into old radios. Just picked up a 1948 Motorola AM/FM upright with phonograph in working and excellent condition. I have an old Zenith that will need lost of restorartion but I can't wait to get started. I am also waiting for shipment of a 1950's Motorala table radio. I have restored an old radio tape deck combo so it works like original. I am having as much fun with this as with my Hi FI stuff. I love the sound of the old recordings playing on an old 78.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think in many cases if old radios, jukeboxes, cars, tractors, pinball games etc. from the 50's or earlier have survived thus far they are not as likely to get junked....there is more of an appreciation today for historical equipment than, say in the 70's or 80's.

There is a problem in collecting 70's and later equipment though, such as microprocessor controlled jukeboxes, etc. In the older stuff that is purely mechanical/discrete electronic, you can still get a lot of parts for it or if needed you can make substitutes. When custom IC's or the like go bad and the original mfr. is out of business...you're in a lot more trouble to find a substitute.

30-40 years from now there will probably still be 1950's Seeburg jukeboxes, Ford model T's and tractors, Atwater Kent and philco radios and the like in collections...doubt if we will see many 1980's-90's minivans, vcr's, DVD's, computers, as they are not designed with the enduring quality of the older stuff and they are not designed for serviceability.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Send Lawyers, Guns& Money

I was in an antiques store yesterday and the guy had a Predicta, an 1920 something Atwater Kent (working), Hallicrafter 28, several Zenith Wavelength Antennaes and GE Beam A Scopes, plus several small bakelight radios. Nice guy, knew his stuff. Reasonably priced but not cheap- couldn't justify it to the wife though! Yes dear, I ahh needed all this stuff. No I don't know what for exactly, but isn't it cool?

Actually I could probably talk her into the Predicta in the living room, if I could afford it!

No, liquor does not make you charming. That's what peyote is for.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Collecting '70s Stuff

In addition to bakelite postwar radios, I collect small TVs from the Seventies and Eighties, mainly 5" or smaller. Although these sets are not antique or perhaps even vintage, the likes of them in style and build quality are not made today. Right now I can get them in good condition for low cost. That may not be true in twenty years or more. My wife sometimes asks "What are you going to do with that?" I'ts a hobby, it doesn't require a practical purpose. The 5" TVs are also easy to display and fun to use.
Audiokarma
Old 09-20-2015, 01:22 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs
Our hobby of antique radio restoration and collecting is not new by any stretch of the imagination.
Hey its all we can do to hold onto things FROM THE PAST that we know are made well and produce EXCELLENCE!!

Nothing made today comes anywhere near it!!
Old 09-20-2015, 09:54 AM
M is for Memory

You dug up a 10 year old thread just to say that?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Motorola Minion

Well, who can disagree but no going back.
Now that we are here again, lets discuss if anything has changed in ten years.

My guess is that most VK'ers are here because the TV hobby has very limited online forums. The midwest seems to be the epicenter of TV collecting and I seem to be an island of TV insanity in my locale anyway.

I became obsessed with late 50s early 60s color sets 38 years ago.after learning how to use a B&K 1077B TV analyst.
Had I known the prices of today, I would have looked much harder for roundies and saved more sets.

Antique radio is popular due to the smaller size and large variety, allowing collectors to indulge without comitting a large space. (or being comitted) Plus, you need to practice working safely on radios before you ever go down that old TV rabbit hole.

Most observations at the Kutztown swap meet (past weekend) is that its mostly about radios and parts, with an emphasis on getting more projects for oneself. I took home about 8 fixer-uppers and spent the $$$ I made selling other things. I see many folks there with interesting, polished-perfect, even rare radios and related items at market prices, which are justified by their efforts. I hope they do well with the visitors but I'm a budget shopper. My favorite seller is this couple from Mass. with a trailer full of radio bargains!

Radios locally do command higher prices, when sold alongside other antiques. Few radios are found in antique places for some reason, but furniture, glassware signs, etc are in all of them here.
Fortunately, I can still find 1930s-60s project radios for $5-15 just like I did over 40 years ago. You can then spend 2 hours and capacitor money on a plastic set only to get $40-50 for it as "restored". If you spend more time on a floor model and it plays super, you could get $300 or more, but only from the right buyer.

The northeast US is radio-oriented and even local CL is full of projects (cheap to delusionally overpriced) right now.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 09-21-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Radios somehow bore me. Well, except those that cross my bench time and time again that are made from 1928-1935 that you'd swear the engineers sniffed some mucilage while drawing the circuit designs.

Those I just hate

As I look around, I have 4 tube radios. I started on radios when I was about 7 or 8. LOVED TVs but they intimidated me. Some sets still do
Old 09-21-2015, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up

Well...I am doing MY part...to try and get younger people (M&F), interested in this hobby. When I hear of a member here with an 8 year old daughter who knows how to SOLDER (younger than I did !!)..and who wants to BUILD KITS...it gives me a bit of HOPE...that our hobby WILL "carry on"..

Next month...my radio club (SPARK of Dayton Ohio), is going to put on a presentation at the University of Dayton...fort some students. I think 4 of us are involved. I have decided to do MY presentation on the evolution of solid-state technology, from the birth of the transistor and a bit BEFORE..(such as seleiium and copper-oxide rectifiers, crystal diodes, and such)...to the modern MPU...and its associated chips. I will ONLY have about 15 minutes to speak or such...so it will NOT be too comprehensive...but they WILL get an ovderview of things.

There MAY ALSO be a similar presentation for Wright State...but so far...they have NOT gotten back to the club president.

The hope is to get more younger prople INTERESTED in old-tech. A generation which is used to Iphones and SD cards....can HOPEFULLY be made to embrace the "oldies"..
Audiokarma
Old 09-21-2015, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Radios somehow bore me. Well, except those that cross my bench time and time again that are made from 1928-1935 that you'd swear the engineers sniffed some mucilage while drawing the circuit designs.
I have reached the same point thus the reason I have started restoring TV's. I have repaired so many radios over the years I can't even count the number of them.

Gregb

Last edited by Gregb; 09-25-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM
<----Zenith C845

I like restoring Zenith radios, mostly table and portable transistor sets since they don't take up much room. (I live in a small apartment and could not fit a large console anywhere.)

My current collection consists of seven Zenith radios right now, all but one in working condition. The one that isn't presently working has an issue with the volume control, which is a 2-megohm dual pot; however, I suspect that was caused when the radio was shipped to me some years ago by a former VK member in Arizona, with all the bouncing around, throwing around (the radio had been sent via UPS) and so on. I also have two Zenith solid-state TransOceanic portables that work, but I don't use them much because they each require eight D-cell batteries which are very expensive here; the AC adapter for one of the sets is missing the male plug at the end of the output cable, and as of right now even that adapter is missing--I can't find it anywhere around here. I wish I could find it, as that radio sounds great on FM.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is no doubt that the largest group of collectors are ones that have a nostalgia for sets from when they were young. When they die-off, interest in that area falls quite a bit. This has happened with cars like the Model T and A which used to be much, much more popular. The interest doesn't completely go away, it's just not nearly as strong. Hopefully there will be collectors like me that, although born years after the items they collect were made, still get excited about them. I built-up a collection of '20-'50's radio and TV's and try not to be concerned about values. I personally find them simply a joy to look at and use. I've almost stopped trading and selling because all you hear these days is "the bottom fell out on those" or "they are so common". That part of the hobby is a drag and I avoid it.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You guys know about that "Little Girl", Bethany, that I prattle on about ENDLESSLY ? Never told you about how I met her, did I ? I was dating her Aunt, & Bethany found out I liked old radios & TVs. She allowed how she wanted to come over to my house & "See" my radios. I thought, "9 yr old GIRL, old radios, yeah THIS will take 5 minutes, TOPS", & then we can dump her, & go on & do what WE wanna do... Didn't QUITE work out that way...We went in the "Ships' Radio Room", Miss Priss starts barking out"I wanna see THAT one, What does THIS one sound like? Play THAT one for me"... I had my TV-7 sitting on my desk... "What does THAT thing do ?!? Show me how to work it.... Now show me AGAIN... Now HAND me a Tube, & Get Out Of My Way"... Young 'Un perched on my lap, grabbed EVERY tube she could lay mitts on, & sat there the next hour & a half/2 hours, & tested EVERY tube she could find... Kim, the Aunt, got regusted, went in the living room, piled up on the couch, & was soon Sawing Logs. Me, I was absotively BLOWN AWAY by this incredible kid. Think I "Fell" for her that afternoon. That was nearly 15 yrs ago, & I'm still "Head Over Heels" for her. She was/is INCREDIBLY smart, & VERY "Precocious". Wasn't enuf just to SHOW her how you did something, she wanted to know ALL the "Whys" & "Wherefores", as well. She was 9 then, & she REALLY had more of a "Boys' " disposition, than a little girl.But I did a STUPID thing, according to Kim... Kim told me-"WHATEVER you do, DON'T give her yr Phone #..." Uhh, I already did... OH, HELL, YOU DONE IT NOW..." And Kim was right. Bethany called me that week, & pretty much ORDERED me to come get her & take her to Supper... Been DOWNHILL ever since.. But I DID gain me a Daughter, & I tried hard to explain to her about tube stuff, & why its better, most of the time, than the stuff we have now. She was just SO much fun to be around. She was like a Spongue, soaking up anything/everything I had to tell her. She pretty much ORDERED me to teach her to drive in my Excursion-At age 9. Everybody always asked me, "Why do you wanna teach her in THAT humongous thing ?!?"... Well, if she could drive THAT, she could pretty much drive ANYTHING... She now has a 2 yr old son, & 3 month old daughter, you can believe THEY will gain an appreciation for "The Finer Things" when they're old enuff to understand...
Old 09-25-2015, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
There is no doubt that the largest group of collectors are ones that have a nostalgia for sets from when they were young. When they die-off, interest in that area falls quite a bit. This has happened with cars like the Model T and A which used to be much, much more popular. The interest doesn't completely go away, it's just not nearly as strong. Hopefully there will be collectors like me that, although born years after the items they collect were made, still get excited about them.

That's a very good point. We've observed the same thing in telephone collecting, which is my primary hobby. The older wooden wall sets and "candlestick" desk phones aren't nearly as in demand as they once were, whereas now people are more interested in the newer plastic sets from the 1950s-70s.
Audiokarma