Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:07 AM
keeptrying

Need some info on Stewart Warner Radio

Hi, I bought a Stewart Warner Radio model# R-1301-A for $75 it is in perfect condition and has not been refurbished everything is original. Was this a good price? Does anyone know what years this radio was made or any info about it. I bought it for my husband as a gift and we are not collectors. Thanks for your help. Also is this a shortwave radio? What does that mean?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:38 AM
keeptrying

I would like to add I did not buy this as an investment. I bought it because I liked it but would like some background on it since I plan on keeping it.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Very good find keeptrying!!! According to "The collector's guide to Antique Radios" 4th edition, Your radio is worth about $150-175 and was made between 1934 and 1936. Keep in mind that the book was written in 97 and Prices have gone up since then, shame they havn't made a newer book yet!

The short wave part is a differnt band. If you have an adaquate antenna, you might be able to pick up shortwave broadcast from around the world!

If you are planning to play the radio, I would strongly suggest having it re-capped (all new capacitors installed). The old wax capacitors are ticking time bombs. If you play it without replacing them, expect one to explode and cause some damage. Also , have someone look over the radio chassis to inspect for crumbeling chassis wire. You could also have the radio aligned so that It will pick up stations better.

Hold on to that thing, even if you didn't buy it as an investment its still a large one!

Jordan
Old 07-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Audiophool

Service information at Nostalgia Air: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/397/T0000397.htm

They list a 1301 and an R-301A - but no R-1301A.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:47 PM
keeptrying

jpdylon, Thank-you so much for the info on the radio and also about what could happen if we used it. I'm really glad now I found this site. Thanks again

Tom, I will check out the website. Thanks
Audiokarma