Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

My favorite was always the Magnavox T995 with the star tuner. Next favorite was the RCA CTC-16xl with a good crt and proper alignment very hard to beat. I never liked the orangy reds of the zenith sets. and since I am very nearsighted, I have to sit close to the set so I could never watch a Sony Trinitron. I could see the black lines from the shadow mask running up the picture. Most annoying.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That KV-1070UA or whatever the Sony model number was kinda made everything else look like a Remedial Shop Class project..As long as Akio Morita ran things at Sony, they made VERY GOOD stuff. My KV-7010 U/A had the Hound run out of it, got fed w/127VAC most all its life-But as best as I recall, it STILL made a picture that was 2nd to none..My dad got it at Hammacher Schlemmer in Noo Yawk City... Seems like I remember that for some odd reason, they were "Never Officially imported" in America. Helluva note-Mine just had that UNBELIEVABLE sharp, stable picture that they were later on JUSTLY. famous for..
Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

In the "Early" days of TV, most sets were bought from yr friendly neighborhood furniture/appliance store, worked/were set up by a guy who was basically nothing more than a "Stepin Fetchit" guy whose primary importance was seeing Mrs Kabboble's new bedroom suit's Henrydon wasn't all "Skint" to death by the ogres who usually fooled w/this stuff. MAYBE the store spent a bit of money,& sent all their "Ogres" to a class where they learned-Hopefully- the ins & outs of setting up TVs.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:21 PM
sampson159

my t995 star set has a fantastic picture and maybe the best of all the sets i own.i never inquired who made those crts for them?my e48 with the dark matrix crt is a close second,xl100 running neck and neck.i do remember those admiral sets and some of them had a really fine crt while others had low grade jugs.when those admirals were right,they were right!btw-since back then i never inquired,who built crts for admiral,magnavox,philco before gte,etc?the philco hybrid that i owned had the best picture of any set.my dad bought a d16 slide control sylvania new that had a knockout picture and is still in operation to this day.through the years,i ve saw many sets and there are quite few memorable ones but my favorite was my philco hybrid.few problems except for the electrolytics.had to recap it twice in five years.my first e45 with electronic tuning was great and in its ten year run with me not one problem.those furniture store tv experts!got so many call in regards.they would set up those sets and the complaint was always the same,"it looked much better in the store".usually degauss,set the grayscale and some minor color tint adjustments.paid me well and loved those service calls.back when you could actually make a buck in the business

Last edited by sampson159; 11-08-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
my t995 star set has a fantastic picture and maybe the best of all the sets i own.i never inquired who made those crts for them?
RCA probably, as far as I know all were equipped with the 25VCXP22. Two of my sets have them, both EIA 274, one in daily use. I agree, fantastic picture, stiff competition for even the newest CRTs.
Audiokarma
Old 11-09-2017, 10:23 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
my t995 star set has a fantastic picture and maybe the best of all the sets i own.i never inquired who made those crts for them?my e48 with the dark matrix crt is a close second,xl100 running neck and neck.i do remember those admiral sets and some of them had a really fine crt while others had low grade jugs.when those admirals were right,they were right!btw-since back then i never inquired,who built crts for admiral,magnavox,philco before gte,etc?the philco hybrid that i owned had the best picture of any set.my dad bought a d16 slide control sylvania new that had a knockout picture and is still in operation to this day.through the years,i ve saw many sets and there are quite few memorable ones but my favorite was my philco hybrid.few problems except for the electrolytics.had to recap it twice in five years.my first e45 with electronic tuning was great and in its ten year run with me not one problem.those furniture store tv experts!got so many call in regards.they would set up those sets and the complaint was always the same,"it looked much better in the store".usually degauss,set the grayscale and some minor color tint adjustments.paid me well and loved those service calls.back when you could actually make a buck in the business
When your back on your feet, pull the backs on your sets find the CRT label and write down the 3-4 digit EIA number. The EIA number will tell you who REALLY made it. I've seen early Zenith labeled 21FJP22 CRTs with an RCA EIA number on the sticker because Zenith had yet to get their Rauland CRT division to start mass producing color CRTs.

Many maker's sources varied over the years, some times internal sometimes external, sometimes different external from other times....The color shortage of the late 60's caused some of the more unusual sourcing. Sets were selling faster than they could make them and if a make did not own a CRT supply chain, it might grab whatever make CRT it could get in a given week.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 11-09-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Damn does run fast…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
This thread is just a TAD on the "Jingoish" side of things, but that's all right..An early day Trinitron is rather hard to beat ,in my book... EVERYBODY always enjoyed
watching it... A Golf match, when you had a cameraman who knew what he was doing, was a sight to behold...

Yeah, Sony pretty much released the Trinitron and that was their first mic drop. Growing up in the 80's, the Trini was THE set to have - nothing really came close. The Colortraks were decent when they worked, which wasn't often on the one my parents had :/
Old 11-10-2017, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
That NOS XL100 of yours ranks as one of the nicest pictures I've ever seen. I can still remember it, and it's probably been 12 years or more!

For a time Admiral made its own color crt's. In a history of the company outlined in the MAARC newsletter Radio Age it mentioned that they had a lot of quality issues that they couldn't resolve. Eventually they gave up; when Admiral disassembled their crt plant they found that somebody had apparently sabotoged the water purification apparatus, throwing some scraps of metal in a tank & thus contaminating the crt's.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
...when Admiral disassembled their crt plant they found that somebody had apparently sabotoged the water purification apparatus, throwing some scraps of metal in a tank & thus contaminating the crt's.
Wow, that's the first time I've heard the sabotage story.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the day, when we were hunting a new TV, I noticed that Philco roundies had the finest skin tone rendition... people just looked like people!!! The chassis had the tuning bar eye tube. My Father had an Admiral aircraft carrier he was given... I was recruited to venture down to his place to resurrect it... after putting in an RCA HiLite jug it had a fine picture that rivaled my Zenith 25EC58 flatty. I trash picked a 13" Maggie that had one of the sharpest, brightest pictures... I also had a works in a drawer that was fantastic... My Uncle had the first color set in our relation... a 1957 RCA Deluxe... looked like $**t most of the time till I got my fingers inside it circa 1966. My observation: almost ANY decently engineered set that is properly adjusted from stem to stern by someone with the knowledge to do so WILL perform magnificently... this very thought just came to me as I was penning this!!! It's reassuring to know that the members of this forum have that knowledge and use it to love these beasts back to life for all to see and marvel at!!!

Jim
Audiokarma
Old 11-11-2017, 09:28 AM
sampson159

i agree with philco roundy.dad bought one and it had the best picture in the whole store.he bought the one on display.it was a slight hassle but thats what he wanted.the tuning bars and the flip down door that was broken within days.that set lasted ten years and a crt cleaning once a year kept it going.i really liked those philco sets.nice ly engineered and good looking cabinets.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

The early 1970's Motorola Quasar 19 inch set that my parents had was the best I've seen compared to my friends and relatives TV's at the time.I cant recall what their sets brand names were since this was 40 plus years ago. I still have my parents set here some where along with my grandfathers Motorola Quasar 13 inch a son of the 19 inch set.My uncle found these sets and said they were the best around.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Wow, that's the first time I've heard the sabotage story.
The same thing happend at the Rauland plant, years later!
Poor follow-up of the QC department. That water quality should have been checked daily, by a real water expert or at least weekly and parameters established. A QC employee could take samples daily and submit them.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My granddaddy,Fritz, had the only color set in my immediate family- A Zenith that had a metal cab, w/"Woodgrain" vinyl atop it. He had it in his office at work-Being the Big Dawg gave him a few privaleges.. We could only get one or 2 of the Knoxville stations, but the office was on a hill that was kinda oriented to that end of town. Fritz only watched ball games, golf, that sorta stuff, & as I said before, if you had a cameraman who knew his stuff, an outdoor scene could look UNREAL. I still have the set,one day,I'll take it to see Terry..Where the office was,& Fritz's TV was,too you sorta had the equivalent of a 100' tower..
Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Was it a round tube job?
Audiokarma