Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Had this Magnavox given to me today.

I saw a listing that said "moving, everything must go". This is what I ended up getting for free. The radio works, and sounds great. I plugged my phone into it, and my music sounds really nice through it.

The knobs exhibit a little scratchy sound when turning them. There is no needle in the cartridge, and the automatic funtion seems to not function, as I can't get the "dial knob" for the turntable to go into the "AUTO" position. The table turns while in manual mode. The tone arm floats freely from side to side. SO I have an old needle I will install to test it out probably in a day or two.

The main reason I got this is to possibly switch out the turntable on my smaller console, that looks to use the same turntable. That turntable has skipping issues, as the tone arm binds up laterally. It's pretty dusty, and has people grime here and there. Some scratches, but nothing too hideous. Some Olde English will make it look a lot better.

Anyone know which model this is? It goes pretty loud, and has decent tone. I haven't had the back off, as it is so HOT outside, and I dropped it off at my storage unit. It must be 100 degrees over there.

Last edited by zombie1210; 07-29-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have ordered a new needle for it. The cartridge looks fine to me. But I am suspecting that the idler for the turntable might be worn out, as I can stop the motion of the turntable with my pinky finger.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:17 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

The main reason I got this is to possibly switch out the turntable on my smaller console, that looks to use the same turntable. That turntable has skipping issues, as the tone arm binds up laterally. It's pretty dusty, and has people grime here and there. Some scratches, but nothing too hideous. Some Olde English will make it look a lot better.
I would not do the turntable swap as a first option...The one in your other console is in better shape aside from the binding issue. Better to fix the binding issue than start from scratch with a worse changer. There should be a way to dismantle the arm pivot. Once dismantled clean the old lube off with goof off, lighter fluid or some such product, then apply a light coating of white lithium grease to the friction surfaces and reassemble.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-31-2018, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think it's the pivot that is binding. Because at times the arm floats free laterally. It seems more like a timing of the auto function issue to me.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:59 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post
I don't think it's the pivot that is binding. Because at times the arm floats free laterally. It seems more like a timing of the auto function issue to me.
If the auto change is not actively going through its cycle then it should not have any sort of intermittent bearing on the arm's ability to float freely...Granted if this occurs at the runout grove position for 45's (the farthest runout grove position from the center) or another record runout grove position then it is possible that the end of record change cycle trip mech is not operating correctly and causing the binding. In cases like this, I like to pull the changer and remove the stylus for safety then move the platter by hand and work the mech through its cycle and look at what the above and below deck connections to the arm pivot are doing when it is binding...Sometimes there is a lever on the pivot underneath that is hitting something else that is gummed up.

I would still clean and lube the arm pivot. Old grease turns to glue, and its binding effect can change at random.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-31-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2018, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the help. I'll look into that much closer.

The unit in the photos of this post will also get a good looking over. I just don't want to invest much into them, as they come up all the time around these parts, and it's only a matter of time until one that has a totally working turntable come up.

This is kinda fun. A nice break from my antique radio addiction that ends up costing me a lot of money.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

you need to pull the turntable out of the other unit and get it upside down so you can see the mechanism. Then CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Once ALL the old grease is off you can relubricate it sparingly where metal contacts metal. Including the tone arm pivot area. On the top side under the platter will have some parts that need to be cleaned of old grease as well. The changer mech. is driven from one of the idlers under the platter so it always works at the same speed. There is no timing adjustment. You may have a bent part though. You will need to do this to both turntables. A bad cartridge will also cause it to skip even with a new stylus.