Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Digital Stream vs. Maganavox Converter Box

Of these two converter boxes which is the better of the two? Also, which brand of converter box does anyone recommend over another if any?

Thank You.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
Of these two converter boxes which is the better of the two? Also, which brand of converter box does anyone recommend over another if any?

Thank You.
Definitely, it has to be the Digital Stream. They seem to be up there with the Zenith-Insignia and the higher line Channel Master.
The biggest negative with the Magnavox-Funai units is, they're totally dead in the water, without some kind of a remote control. Lucky thing is, most of the universal remotes, available today can be programed to operate DTV converters and access the set-up menu.
The first generation Magnavox converters, came with a remote control, that most found, hard to use. Also, they don't work as well, with less than a rather strong signal. The same is true, with the RCA's, GE's and some of the not-so-common makes.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have both the Digitalstream and Magnavox boxes and even though both of them serve my purpose, the Digitalstream seems a little more sensitive and better built than the Magnavox. One major thing I dislike about the Magnavox box is that there are zero controls on the box. Recently, someone gave me a Maggie box with no remote and I was fortunate that a $6 GE universal remote would operate it and bring up the menu.

I also have a Zenith and a Channel Master box and they are also good with no complaints from me.

If you live in a strong signal area and/or want a cheaper box for a secondary set, the Magnavox will do fine.

If you live in a weaker signal area, you probably want to get something better.

BTW, I don't care for the Apex boxes. I've had two of them given to me and they had the worst sensitivity of any of my boxes, ran hot, and soon died.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I have both the Digitalstream and Magnavox boxes and even though both of them serve my purpose, the Digitalstream seems a little more sensitive and better built than the Magnavox. One major thing I dislike about the Magnavox box is that there are zero controls on the box. Recently, someone gave me a Maggie box with no remote and I was fortunate that a $6 GE universal remote would operate it and bring up the menu.

I also have a Zenith and a Channel Master box and they are also good with no complaints from me.

If you live in a strong signal area and/or want a cheaper box for a secondary set, the Magnavox will do fine.

If you live in a weaker signal area, you probably want to get something better.

BTW, I don't care for the Apex boxes. I've had two of them given to me and they had the worst sensitivity of any of my boxes, ran hot, and soon died.
I don't even know, if any DTV converter boxes are still available for sale.
I've been getting mine from thrift shops, garage sales and swap meets.
The drug store, I go to, still has an RCA on the shelf for $50.00 .
Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

You can still buy the RCA's from Wal-Mart and the Digital Stream from Radio Shack Dealers.
Audiokarma
Old 06-28-2014, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

About a year ago, I was in a second hand store that had a pile of Magnavox DTV boxes without remotes. I said to myself, "I'll take a chance on them if I can get them for not more than $5/each." So, I asked the price and was told $30/each! I think they were only $40 when new, with a remote and warranty. I almost busted laughing in the woman's face.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, kinda unreal there on the price. I thought the Magnavox was about $10 when new and you used a Government Coupon?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

The outright price on the Maggies was between $40-$50, depending on where you shopped. With the coupon, the max you would have paid out of pocket would have maybe been $10.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Digital Stream Converter Box

Has anyone ever used the Digital Stream DTX9900 Conveter Box? I was given one today and it seems to be doing some wierd things. I thought I read where the earlier Digital Stream Converter Boxes weren't as good as the later one. I have a later one and it doesn't act the way this one I was given does.
Would enjoy hearing from anyone who had or has one.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

I find that the DS and Magnavox boxes both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of the Digital Stream:
-Superior EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
-Buttons on the box (I/O, ch-up, ch-down), not totally dependent on the remote as is the Magnavox (note you do not want a DS box without a remote, as you will still need one to set it up or access the EPG, among other things).
-Update scan mode (in addition to regular rescan mode). Very useful if not all of your local stations can be seen with your antenna in one position.

Advantages of the Magnavox:
-Better tolerance of multipath conditions, especially dynamic (changing) multipath. The Magnavox box is less likely to pixellate or go dark because an indoor antenna is used, a truck drives by, an antenna is aimed in the wrong direction, or heavy winds are blowing a tree in the path of the signal.
-(I have not been able to confirm this) I have heard that the DS box is more prone to failure because some circuits are held in place by solder blobs.

Both of these boxes are better than the RCA, Apex or AccessHD boxes. Neither of these are better than the Zenith, Insignia, Sansonic, Zinwell or Memorex boxes.

The WTFDA forums have several reviews of these boxes (collectively called "CECBs"). TV DXers have been taking these boxes to their limits.
Audiokarma
Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have Samsung, Motorola, Accurian, and Digital Stream
convertor boxes plus a Sony ATSC HDTV. All but the Digital Stream
are HDTV.

The Samsung is earliest, from the second year of OTA DTV.
The Motorola in two years after that. The signal performance
of Samsung is worse than Motorola which is worse than the
other three. Accurian and Digital Stream are better than Sony.
Digital Stream and Accurian are capable of receiving
signals with two suckouts at 30 dB down or one that's
so strong the bottom is unmeasurable with an 8 bit ADC.

Accurians will need a power supply recap at some point,
probably now if heavily used.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
I find that the DS and Magnavox boxes both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of the Digital Stream:
-Superior EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
-Buttons on the box (I/O, ch-up, ch-down), not totally dependent on the remote as is the Magnavox (note you do not want a DS box without a remote, as you will still need one to set it up or access the EPG, among other things).
-Update scan mode (in addition to regular rescan mode). Very useful if not all of your local stations can be seen with your antenna in one position.

Advantages of the Magnavox:
-Better tolerance of multipath conditions, especially dynamic (changing) multipath. The Magnavox box is less likely to pixellate or go dark because an indoor antenna is used, a truck drives by, an antenna is aimed in the wrong direction, or heavy winds are blowing a tree in the path of the signal.
-(I have not been able to confirm this) I have heard that the DS box is more prone to failure because some circuits are held in place by solder blobs.

Both of these boxes are better than the RCA, Apex or AccessHD boxes. Neither of these are better than the Zenith, Insignia, Sansonic, Zinwell or Memorex boxes.

The WTFDA forums have several reviews of these boxes (collectively called "CECBs"). TV DXers have been taking these boxes to their limits.
I just picked a later Magnavox converter. The beige colored box and remote.
It seems to be a lot hotter and more stable.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Has anyone ever used the Digital Stream DTX9900 Conveter Box? I was given one today and it seems to be doing some wierd things. I thought I read where the earlier Digital Stream Converter Boxes weren't as good as the later one. I have a later one and it doesn't act the way this one I was given does.
Would enjoy hearing from anyone who had or has one.

Thanks.
Has anyone ever had these Digital Stream 9900 Converter Boxes fail to make a picture and have to turn off and on several times before they will work right. It seems when the box is first turned on it makes horizontal lines on the screen. After a few minutes, they go away. I have found it's best to just leave the box on when not in use.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I just picked a later Magnavox converter. The beige colored box and remote.
It seems to be a lot hotter and more stable.
I must be going color-blind. It's gray, both the converter and remote.
Remember the first Magnavoxes, that came out? The remote was poorly laid out. The channel up-down buttons were tiny and hard to use. The later ones were a lot better.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Has anyone ever had these Digital Stream 9900 Converter Boxes fail to make a picture and have to turn off and on several times before they will work right. It seems when the box is first turned on it makes horizontal lines on the screen. After a few minutes, they go away. I have found it's best to just leave the box on when not in use.
There's one electrolytic cap that needs replacement, in the power supply. It's a silver colored one, different from the rest.
One of my Insignias was acting funny yesterday. It hasn't been used for a few days, but never shut off. The sound is on, but the picture is a bunch of colored streaks and standing still. It doesn't respond to the remote or the buttons on the unit.
I have to unplug it for about 30 seconds and repower it and it's fine for a while.
Probably another one, where the 'lytics are going bad.
Audiokarma