Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:58 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Cleaning wood cabinets?

What's the best method for cleaning up really dirty wooden cabinets? The cabinet in question is a very large Magnavox console stereo made around 1960, I'm not sure what kind of finish it has. Normally when cleaning up console TV cabinets, I just use Pledge and some scrubbing, but this particular cabinet is pretty filthy, with some mildew collection on the sides. I also have a couple of other things that could use a real good cleaning - but I have always been unsure about how best to clean wood stuff without damaging the finish. Any pointers?

-Ian
Old 10-15-2005, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

We usually use Murphy's oil soap in a spray bottle to remove dirt, then polish with Old Engilish polish, using O.E. scratch cover if the finish is bad.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Shaken, not stirred

The best and safest way to restore the shine is good old-fashioned elbow grease. The ‘old school’ method involves mineral spirits and #0000 (Super Fine) steel wool. I’ve been using Simple Green, which is very gentle and smells better.

When you’re ready to start rubbing, use the cleaning agent and the wool, gently; and I mean gently! Although the steel wool is fine, repeated rubbing or pressure will remove the stain, especially on edges. Rub in the direction of the grain, or a circular pattern with even less pressure. Use caution on a spot where veneer ‘edges’ are present. Keep working and wiping, checking your progress. When the dirt is gone, wipe it down again then polish it with some Orange Glo. I love that stuff and it smells great. Pretty durable too-
Old 10-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Curmudgeon

Speaking of wood cabinets...

I've got a late 30's Zenith console that someone decided to treat to a light blond woodtone paint job. What could I use to get it off without screwing up (too badly) the wood underneath it?

Philips AF-887 TT, Marantz CC 4300 CD changer, Teac R-400X cassette
Marantz 2270
JBL L-26
AV Adjunct: Toshiba 27" TV and DVD/VHS combo

Other toys: http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/1606.html
Old 10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Markw,

There isn't a lot you can do to damage the wood, I mean, besides taking a hammer or a screwdriver to it. Most collectors or restorers are worried about preserving the original finish and although it isn't likely, you can sometimes remove paint and find a useable finish underneath. I had this happen recently on an old Zenith G730 that someone painted (rattle can) gloss black. I thought the original finish was a :deadhorse but the clearish-blonde stain hiding under there was still pretty glossy and even. Crazy!

Stripping veneer can be tricky, but I've had good luck using Formby's, available at Wal Mart, ACE, etc. Otherwise, get a gallon or two of lacquer thinner, a few brass-bristled brushes and start scrubbing. Soak some on the paint for a while first to get it soft and use a smaller brush, a pick or the side of a scraper for the cracks and hard to reach places. Lightly sand or 0000 steel wool to smooth, clean it good with soap and water, then re-stain and varnish. Refinishing is actually an entirely new process, but you have some work to do before you’re ready for that-
Audiokarma
Old 10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Windex here

Good 'ol Windex to clean the cabinet. Cuts through everything and dries before any grain can be lifted

And then Novus #2 plastic polish on the varnish. Novus is a polishing compound that makes it shine like new...or better. A bit tough to apply in tight corners and grooves.

Then the wax of your choice if needed.

Dave A