Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:14 PM
AK Member

Philco console questions

Ok, I am very short on info but hopefully someone is going to know what I am talking about. If ound an old Philco console. It is roughly 3'-6 tall, 3'-6 deep, and 2'-0 wide. It has 4 long legs,about 2'-0 tall, which makes the console portion about 1'-6 deep. It has gold lemay type covering over the speakers. It had a tone control, a volume control, a function selector, and a tunning control. The funtions where ph, I forget, and ss. The dial was horizontal and the top markings were for AM and the bottom markings were for ss. The ss band had some markings at different points like a battle ship or a microphone or a telephone, etc. The console also had a lid which was hinged on the backside. Opening it reveld a turntable. The turntable had a metal plinth that was supported by springs. The platter had felt mat. The spindle was very odd and was bent wierd. I could not find a model number. Looking from the bottom there was a tag, but I could not read it due to lack of light and I did not have a flashlight. There was a tag that said to remove the bottom cover to replace the tubes. ONe last thing, the speaker looked to be about 4x10.

Ok, that's all I know. Anyone have any ideas? And what the heck is the SS band?

Last question, it powers on, but I get no sound. Is it worth fixing up?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Audiophool

I would think it would say "SW" for "Short Wave". Look for a label inside with model number. I would guess the early Philcos are worth $100 or so... more if it has 8 tubes or more...

I have some Philco service bulletins on my web page, but they're '37 and later. This one sounds like '30 or so. Ron Ramirez (MR. Philco) has schematics on his web page - http://www.mrphilco.com

There's 4 pages of Philco photos here: maybe you can find it: http://radioatticarchives.com/archive_p1.htm

Last edited by Tom Bavis; 09-27-2005 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm thinking this is probably later 40's...the "S.S. band" was "special services"
I believe from around 1.6 to 5 mhz. there is not much S.W. stuff today but back then there was more police radio, ship to shore, etc. there.
Most of the 20's and early 30's sets I have seen are AM broadcast only.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
AK Member

"It has gold lemay type covering over the speakers."

FYI:
Old 10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
<----Zenith C845

Philco radios with special services band

Philco made a blonde wood-cased table model radio back in the '50s (don't recall the model number offhand) which had the special services band. The tuning scale for the SS band was directly below that for BC, but the special services range only had icons for the different services (police, fire, civil defense [Conelrad], etc.), no actual calibrations in MHz (Mc. when this radio was new). The band selector was on the rear apron of the chassis. Philco's engineers must have thought most people wouldn't listen to the special services range that much, otherwise that switch would have been on the front panel, near the tuning knob or between the volume pot and the tuning control. Several other makes of radios made in the late '40s and early '50s also had this band, so Philco was not the only manufacturer to have made radios with the extra range. I don't recall who the other companies were off the top of my head, but there were a handful of them between about 1949 and 1956-'57.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 10-30-2005, 05:31 PM
AK Member

I finnaly got the model number of this console, it is a B1352.
I found out it was made in 1954, if anyone has any other info on this model, please let me know.