Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

uh-oh... RCA Radiola 18

Guess I have finally, and slightly unwittingly, joined the ranks of truly antique radio collectors :-)

Last week, a co-worker offered me an "old RCA radio" if I were interested. Belonged to his parents, who were downsizing and getting rid of some stuff. He brought it in yesterday. It was easy to tell by its 'form factor' that it was a TRF radio... turns out to be an RCA Radiola 18, with a speaker (not a horn) in a cast metal (?) housing. Apparently it's made to run on regular ol' AC, and it weighs a ton (from the power supply, it seems like). It's in pretty good physical condition, and has all tubes (not globes though... I was surprised). Guess it dates from the mid-late 1920's.

I know next to nothing about these, but it does seem to be pretty cool. I think I should try to re-hab it, although I am definitely leery of something so old... anything before about the 1940's is pretty unknown territory to me.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Would anyone be interested in seeing photos, or is this model boring to those who are really in the know? I dunno! :-)

Thanks for your attention!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Administrator

I love those! Chances are if the tubes are good, she'll fire right up!

Ohhhh yeah, I'm gonna have a package to ship you this week too.....
Old 11-08-2005, 03:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure I like that "fire" word :-) So... the internal insulation's likely to be OK? The power cord is cut and already hybridized with relatively modern zip cord (none too adroitly). This is a good decade older than the kind of stuff I am used to dealing with.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Audiophool

Schematic: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...7/M0040317.pdf

Most lighting stores sell cloth-covered power cord...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Another source is The Radiola Guy-www.radiolaguy.com-I think yr set dates from 1928-29. Good luck on it !!-Sandy G.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would replace those caps...you can replace the old paper filter caps with some 10 mfd. 450 v. electrolytics and get much better filtering action. There are just a few paper caps there I would replace too, and add 1-amp fuse if it doesn't have one (many of these 20's sets had a fuse holder though). You can repair brittle old wires going into a transformer with heat shrink tubing.

We have got brand new push back old-time style hookup wire we use in all our repair jobs, even on a DVD recorder! It's so convenient to use, looks good in old radio jobs, and has a modern teflon-type braid inside the cloth cover for extra protection.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set! What a find. The speaker is an A100 or something, it's pot metal, be careful or it will shatter in a million pieces. I have the model 17, weighs a ton. Mine had mud dauber wasp nests in it.

If you need the lamp hood or other specific parts the Radiola Guy has em.

Definitely replace all caps especially the filters! Before applying power. Unless you have some good gear like a variac to bring it up slow and an ammeter to monitor current. Otherwise you can blow your rectifier tube AND your power tranny.

You can check Nostalgia Air for some articles on cap replacement and restoration.

It is truly amazing and cool that something that old will work with just a little restoration. Have fun.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

The castings are all fine; the speaker does indeed look to be a 100. This one appears to be vermin-free!

BTW, I do have a Variac, and I even know how to use it :-)

Probably a good winter project... if I am successful, I guess I can listen to WBZ on it...

THanks for the info, folks!
Old 11-11-2005, 10:47 PM
AK Member

I one also and an A100 speaker. Everything is there. It is a project in waiting. Please post pics when you get it finished. BTW, the Radiola Guy is a great person to with which to to business.