Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Stuck in the past!

1989 Zenith System 3 SF2589W

Just picked this one up today. Rear av jacks and stereo sound with remote. Stereo Receiver Monitor with on-screen menu. Simulated wood grain cabinet. Seems to work fine. Was going to be tossed out by a elderly neighbor and received $15 to remove it for her.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Should be from the pre-bad CRT era.
The set is a little higher-end model, with the various jacks in the back.
Great deal!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find! From the snow it looks like it should still have a nice picture on it.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not a bad set & it still has a strong jug. Looks like a one board
chassis before they used a paper mache PCB, still fiberglass.
A real Zenith designed & built set before Gold Star got there
filthy hands on Zeniths stock

73 Zeno
Old 08-02-2014, 07:05 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Very similar to my TV. It actually has a ~10w per channel stereo amp built in, that's what the L/R jacks by the int/ext switch labeled Variable Audio are for. (Not to be confused with the line level out of a modern converter box with built in volume control, these want an 8 ohm load.)

Mine's an SF2027W, born in August 1989. I'm willing to bet that the only difference is the tube size and maybe the flyback output.

There's a pair of diodes and 3 or 4 resistors in the HV portion of the main board that flake out on occasion,(3 times so far since '89 on mine.) but when they go, they tend to stand out visibly that there's something wrong. Don't up the wattage on the resistors when replacing them, something more expensive will burn out next time. Other than that they run more or less forever and have quite good picture and sound for what they are.

Edit: My only regret is that mine doesn't have CC decoding built in... I think 91 and up it became mandatory.
Audiokarma
Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

A 1989 set is likely to have the 1st gen. of the "split chassis" setup. And you are right--the tube is likely good, as Goldstar--LG--had NOT yet gotten their tentacles into Zenith then...

Another problem area on these was the horiz. driver transformer and maybe a resistor off of it. Also a couple of caps in the SMPS supply,primary side, and that transistor near the front of the deflection board used to switch on the 12V. line--it sometimes went bad.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
Very similar to my TV. It actually has a ~10w per channel stereo amp built in, that's what the L/R jacks by the int/ext switch labeled Variable Audio are for. (Not to be confused with the line level out of a modern converter box with built in volume control, these want an 8 ohm load.)

Mine's an SF2027W, born in August 1989. I'm willing to bet that the only difference is the tube size and maybe the flyback output.

There's a pair of diodes and 3 or 4 resistors in the HV portion of the main board that flake out on occasion,(3 times so far since '89 on mine.) but when they go, they tend to stand out visibly that there's something wrong. Don't up the wattage on the resistors when replacing them, something more expensive will burn out next time. Other than that they run more or less forever and have quite good picture and sound for what they are.

Edit: My only regret is that mine doesn't have CC decoding built in... I think 91 and up it became mandatory.
I don't think, that's the model with the 10 watt/channel output stage.
The output jacks are the RCA type, line level variable output, intended for an external amplifier. The TV volume could be controlled with the TV remote.
It also shows a switch, where the internal speakers could be shut off.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I usually mark ~~1987 or so as my cut-off date for collecting TVs but hell I took in a 2001 sony wega recently so this would certainly be fair game today, as the curb tv supply has been running out in my area.
Nice to get 15 clams for taking it off her hands.
The audio-video output jacks are a nice feature to have. I have a few 80s sets with that feature and it can come in handy depending on how you have your 'wall-of'old-TVs' set up
On these sets, I find that most issues can arise from the board being flexed too much during repairs, causing all kinds of intermittents. The crt neckboard is not immune to it either. Whenever I get an 80s Zenith with modules (or without) I make sure to keep a close eye on all soldered joints in high-heat areas and on the edge connectors before buttoning it back up.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Stuck in the past!

Yeah my cutoff date is 89 but i have my zenith 2001 console and moms 98 philips magnavox from 98 plus a cheap sylvania from 01 and another 98 philips mag. I stopped messing with Fony Wegas. Way too heavy. I liked alot of older Sony stuff but not their 00's tvs. I'll hook something up to this zenith and get a pic of it.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Stuck in the past!

New pics up plus what i found out about this set here:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...91#post3112191
Audiokarma